what are thumpers?

• Sponsors (?)

[quote thumper460]A guy had almost 900.00 in GT40s getting them the basic mods.. ( see stangnet) with out any flow work. SOooo... a good deal is only as good as you want it to be... And this autozone thing is a good place to start!! cool?? BUT.... in the statements above.." high dollar stock heads ", could be, IF you dont want the add'l power over the 40s and not want to run a iron head... But you really need to call the local performance machine shop and see what the 40s are going to cost to get them rocking ready!! and maybe a gasket match and performance valve job!! it might amaze ya!! cool??[quote thumper460]

(stuffs arm in T-shirt, old school bart simpson style) And I was that boy.

I paid 550$ on top of purchase price ($400) for a .035 shave, tanked, mag.flux, valve job, and comp cams beehive .550 lift springs. All the valves and guides were good thank god. Now in retrospect it would have been ALOT better to have thumper port and work the heads first as he does a (smaller) shave, springs,valve job (and checks the valves). So for that aspect alone thumpers work is a good deal.

One thing I never quite get from the thumper bashers, is that they compare them to the AFR (avg. price is what $1,200 v. $550-600 shipped), now well no one is comparing them to AFR's just unported GT40/GT40P's that are way off from even AFR 165s. I think that if you are running an unported gt40 style intake or a Tmoss stock lower and dont want to go any further into the engine (or even a smaller aftermarket ie. .480-.490 lift cam) you will have a realy good running setup for cheap with the thumper E7 head.

AND as an owner of Tmoss stock lower, stock gt40 lower and Tmoss gt40 lower, the Tmoss stock lower was a dead match to the intake ports on the GT40 heads, and that is what Thumper opens the E7's up to. Also the Tmoss lower is about the same port size as the gt40 unported so that intake would also be a good match.

Now my final thing is the Thumper ported GT40's, what they flow is very close to the AFR 165's ( 230cfm range intake) and that may be a "new twist" on the debate. However, the ported GT40's do have a smaller runner size that will make better power lower (smaller runners make more low end and less top end, and the heavy sn95 cars need that) and the AFR 165's should have more at the upper RPM's. But the real numbers are about a month off for me on my ported gt40 heads so the jury is deff. out and I dont think there are that many people running them.

Not knocking the AFR guys, those heads are nice, just I am a college student who wants to see what I can get out of Ford production stuff and a mild/aggress. mild cam on this car. I have no disire to go any faster than what this setup will allow me.

My .02 or well $1.50 :D sorry for the long post.

e7's are free and ....

Thanks Guys.. It is the user of the heads that sell the heads.. !! and There is NO WAY the 7's are close to AFR's,... Duh!! Cool?? But as you said 12s are there with out the high priced heads.. and that has been my point for over 4 years on this site!! Rocking donjon!!

95snoozer.. sorry if that statement was hard to under stand, the E7s are FREE as they are already on the engine!! and with a set of ported E7s and stock P's the 7s will pull more power than the P's, if you design a cam for the P's and the ported 7's the cam will increase the power of the ported along with the P's again... I cant see what your saying.. sorry??

blksn95 .. we are all waiting to see the numbers, have fun... (That is the real key anyway!!)

Just me.............................

Thumper
Oh, bump!! :)

Sorry for raising this thread from the grave, but I have a question. I know that Aluminum heads are lighter than Iron heads, but is it true that Iron heads make more power, assuming the design of the head is the same? If so, is the power enough to overcome the weight? If the answer is yes, are there any iron heads for the 302 that are better than the GT40P's?

TrueBlue95GT said:
Sorry for raising this thread from the grave, but I have a question. I know that Aluminum heads are lighter than Iron heads, but is it true that Iron heads make more power, assuming the design of the head is the same? If so, is the power enough to overcome the weight? If the answer is yes, are there any iron heads for the 302 that are better than the GT40P's?
the aluminum heads (assuming i understand correctly as well) are only more powerful because we are talking about expensive aftermarket ones which you have to expect are better. the afr 165s are aluminum but they're $$$. this is what this thread is talking about. thumper (and others) are saying that with the right setup that his ported IRON heads you could break into the 12s without the necessity of expensive aluminum heads

check out the faq on the top. it lists a bunch of heads including afr165, gt40p, gt40x, gt40y ... i think your question is the debate that's occuring really

slo95.0 said:
THOUH SHALT NOT POST IN THIS THREAD
i don't get it?

weight... the E7s are 50 Lbs a set.... Gt40s and the Ps are 56 lbs a set... Dart are 65 lbs a set... it is 10 lbs take one HP. SOOooo.. if the alum heads are 30 lbs a set... that is 20 lbs lighter than the E7s and that will take ................2 HP to make up the 20 lbs!! just put the batt in the trunk... LOL Bottom line is $$!! and the cost to get where you want!! Cool??

And this IS a hobby right?? Yeah...

Just me....................

Thumper

My question wasnt which heads are better, AFR's or GT40's....I asked if the heads were the same design, would aluminum heads make more horsepower or would aluminum. I'm asking this because I've heard Iron heads make more power due to their tendency to conduct heat which helps the efficiency of the engine, rather than the heat transferring aluminum that just gives the heat off.

Iron to alu. ( I guess I'll learn how to spell it one day..LOL) all being equal.. the cooler running set of heads will make more power in a race engine, the heat retaining heads will make a little less!! But can be compensated with fuel mix and ign timing.

Why do you have a cool can, or Ice the manifold, or wrap the headers... to keep it all cooler!! cool??

But between me and you... it wont be noticable on a street/strip car. just be real with what you want to build. Me? I wouldn't go alum untill I was in the low 12s or high 11's, cause you can do that on an iron ported head with out too much work. Most street cars are high 13s anyway!!

Just me....................

Thumper

TrueBlue95GT said:
My question wasnt which heads are better, AFR's or GT40's....I asked if the heads were the same design, would aluminum heads make more horsepower or would aluminum. I'm asking this because I've heard Iron heads make more power due to their tendency to conduct heat which helps the efficiency of the engine, rather than the heat transferring aluminum that just gives the heat off.
I have heard and read the same debate on which you speak of. They say that because aluminum dissipates heat quicker that you loose some of the combustion heat that throws the piston down. Where as irons don't because they hold the heat in the chamber (I think that is what your getting at). Now how much of that is true is beyond me, now what I have read is that the way you combat this with aluminums are you raise the compression ratio up one point i.e. you go from 8 to 1 then with aluminum heads you should go 9 to 1. Again I don't know if this theary hold water or not but I have read/heard the same thing.