What Are You Guys Running For Batteries?

I used to buy the big name brands , I work across the street from a battery distributor and he told me how there are basically two manufactures left due to all the environmental restrictions , he has a bunch of different stickers he slaps on the batteries for the different brands, so not much difference really in brands. This battery with his sticker on it cost me 60 bucks, I have the same type in my wife's truck and my truck with no problems at all.

20160903_021622-2.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I
I used to buy the big name brands , I work across the street from a battery distributor and he told me how there are basically two manufactures left due to all the environmental restrictions ]

I think it's exide and Johnson controls. Might be a third. But pretty much all the same with different stickers.

I'd like to get a motorcraft though, but prob could just print a sticker.

Either way, I think 10 years on a battery is good enough. time for a new one

Reactions: 1 users
I used to buy the big name brands , I work across the street from a battery distributor and he told me how there are basically two manufactures left due to all the environmental restrictions , he has a bunch of different stickers he slaps on the batteries for the different brands, so not much difference really in brands. This battery with his sticker on it cost me 60 bucks, I have the same type in my wife's truck and my truck with no problems at all.

20160903_021622-2.jpg
My battery's say Rural King for that very reason lol.
IMG_1719.JPG
And the warranty is pretty good too

Reactions: 1 user

20160903_021622-2.jpg
What about Optima? I know they're more of a specialty battery but a battery nonetheless.

I bought an Optima red top....went through 3 of them in 3 years. Optima used to be really good....but in the last few years the quality has dropped dramatically.

Reactions: 1 users
I've always had great luck with the Duralast Gold batteries.

IMHO there is no reason to buy an expensive battery. All it needs to do is start the car. Stuff like the Optimas are nothing more than engine bay bling.

I've always had great luck with the Duralast Gold batteries.

IMHO there is no reason to buy an expensive battery. All it needs to do is start the car. Stuff like the Optimas are nothing more than engine bay bling.
That sir would be incorrect.

Every car I've had in the last several years (whether it be street car, or race car) has had it's battery in the trunk. Relocating a conventional "wet" battery to the trunk requires a stupid looking and clunky battery box, and needs to be vented. In a racing application, every thing from a small crash, to a violent wheelstand usually results in that front mounted battery blowing it's load all over the engine and inner fender panel.....Even when that doesn't happen, the attractive green fungoo that forms all over the terminal posts and connections in a matter of a couple of weeks as a byproduct of a wet battery, is reason enough to NOT buy a crap, wet battery.

And that isn't even starting down the path of how a dry battery is a better tech solution for any hobby/street/racecar than a standard plate design wet battery.

The Optima has been in my trunk connected for over a year,..there is no crusty green/white junk on anything back there.

Reactions: 2 users
That sir would be incorrect.

Every car I've had in the last several years (whether it be street car, or race car) has had it's battery in the trunk. Relocating a conventional "wet" battery to the trunk requires a stupid looking and clunky battery box, and needs to be vented. In a racing application, every thing from a small crash, to a violent wheelstand usually results in that front mounted battery blowing it's load all over the engine and inner fender panel.....Even when that doesn't happen, the attractive green fungoo that forms all over the terminal posts and connections in a matter of a couple of weeks as a byproduct of a wet battery, is reason enough to NOT buy a crap, wet battery.

And that isn't even starting down the path of how a dry battery is a better tech solution for any hobby/street/racecar than a standard plate design wet battery.

The Optima has been in my trunk connected for over a year,..there is no crusty green/white junk on anything back there.

Then there's always that one guys who says...

I will never buy another (whatever you bought) for as long as I live.

I retired from the AF, many of you know this. All of the Aerospace Ground Equipment at several installations, use nothing but Optima batteries. Big diesel generators all the way down to lightweight air-carts. Yep... That's good enough for me. They must be THAT damned good. I go buy one... Ouchie.

Long story short, the thing has a breakdown of the spiral wound coils inside. It wasn't very old, I was still at the same station where I bought it (BX had a sale). I replace it... Same thing again. Mind you, it doesn't just die a little inside every day (like your wives), it just flat out stops working.

Everything seems to come in threes so I've not purchased a third. I buy OEM quality lead-acid batteries for my STREET car. This battery technology vs. that one and etc... Lead-acid still has the highest reserve capacity that I'm aware of.

I do agree that lead-acid has no place on a car that is regularly tracked.

3 optima's, none lasted more than a couple years.

I used to use diehards (and in some cars I still have them), but the price has went up and up.

Then I found out that interstate made the Kirkland batteries at Costco, then Costco physically switched to interstate. I think they are like $100. Been good to me and are rated very well. On top of that, Costco doesn't test them for a warranty return.

In my mustang I don't put the battery on a tender, it's mounted in the hatch with a disconnect on the license plate. I just leave it off. Downside is I have to reprogram the radio when I use the car. Upside is, that I have never had the battery go dead. I've done this with all my engines and never had an issue.

97 sd 7.3 turbo
Carries 2 big assed batteries
550k+ 19 years
Can you guess how many batteries it has used up?
All I can tell you is I've paid full price for maybe 4.
Interstate all the way!
Free hats & a tee shirt, couple metal signs, numerous calenders and an offer of a Kurt Bush autographed race program (turned that one down, had a chebby in the pic)

Then there's always that one guys who says...

I will never buy another (whatever you bought) for as long as I live.

I retired from the AF, many of you know this. All of the Aerospace Ground Equipment at several installations, use nothing but Optima batteries. Big diesel generators all the way down to lightweight air-carts. Yep... That's good enough for me. They must be THAT damned good. I go buy one... Ouchie.

Long story short, the thing has a breakdown of the spiral wound coils inside. It wasn't very old, I was still at the same station where I bought it (BX had a sale). I replace it... Same thing again. Mind you, it doesn't just die a little inside every day (like your wives), it just flat out stops working.

Everything seems to come in threes so I've not purchased a third. I buy OEM quality lead-acid batteries for my STREET car. This battery technology vs. that one and etc... Lead-acid still has the highest reserve capacity that I'm aware of.

I do agree that lead-acid has no place on a car that is regularly tracked.
it's always that way now isn't it? It doesn't matter what it is,..Optima Batteries, MSD ignition's/distributors, GE appliances, Vizio TV's...On3 Turbo systems.....

A chosen few are gonna have nothing but problems w/ one of the above items, and makes it sound like they're the worst junk on Earth, while hundreds, if not thousands of others never have a minutes trouble out of something, and therefore say nothing about it.

Somebody said something about greasing a squeaky wheel?....:shrug:

Every parts store brand battery but Napa, most of your OE replacement batteries, Interstate, Optima, and Walmart batteries are ALL made by Johnson controls.

I run a Duracell AGM from batteries plus. Made in the USA (good luck finding a US-made JC battery) , 4 year warranty, and when I had surgery and didn't touch my car for two months it still started right up.

My on3 turbo kit has been great so far...so has my MSD ignition system... My GE fridge...and my Vizio flat screen TV...

Ummmm...have you been stalking me @madmike1157 ?

:runaway: