What axles fit 87-88 T-bird rearend?

wv109323

Sep 11, 2008
Lenore ,WV
My 92 Gt has the T-bird rear end with the disc brakes which is wider than the stock rearend. I suspect that I have spline wear on the axles/ center spool and will need Axles.
My question is : From what vehicles can I obtain the axles that are a direct replacement for the T-bird 4 lug axles?
Second question: From what vehicles can I obtain axles if I choose/forced to go to five lug? With 94-95 Mustang axles which disc brakes do I use
?
Third question: Doesn't someone make brackets that I can use the T-bird disc brakes on a stock Mustang rearend housing?

• Sponsors (?)

First question....only 87-88 turbo coupes or 1993 cobras.

Second question....94-98 sn95 axles

Third question. The oem brackets will bolt onto a misting 8.8. If you are talking about brackets that allow you to use stock drum 4-lug axles...then north race cars is who makes them.

The 93 Mustang Cobra axles are the same as the 87-88 Turbo Coupe. Each axle is 3/4" longer that the standard 79-93 Mustang. Both the 7.5 & 8.8 rear ends use the same axles. The 94-98 MUstangs are 5 lug, 3/4" longer that the standard 79-93 Mustang.

Five lug Turbo Coupe conversion:
Use the 94-98 axles Mustang axles. Use 1990 Mazda MPV 3.0 V6 front rotors (10", 5 lug x 4.5" pattern, 2 7/16" offset ). While you are at the auto parts store, set a TC rear rotor side by side with the Mazda rotor and they are the same except for the offset.

The next step fixes the offset problem:
Use a Maximum MotorSports 1/8 spacer (MMWS6, Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader! ) between the inside of the rotor and the axle flange. The spacers may need to have the OD machined to fit properly. The stock rotor offset is 2 5/16" and the Mazda rotors are 2 7/16" offset. The 1/8" spacer puts the rotor back dead center alignment with the calipers.

The Mazda rotors are under $30 each, and I have seen them for $20 each. The MM spacers are two for $30 + $9 shipping. So the entire package costs $99. That saves $41, which most of us could find a very good use for.