What brand oil and filter should I go with?

• Sponsors(?)

StangNet created a new car social app called knowmoto! Add your Mustang or post a photo in the knowmoto app and enter for a chance at a $100 gift card from LMR. Click the LMR Logo for more about the knowmoto Mega Thread!

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Is the motor brand new? How many miles on it and how long are your OCI's?

Black1987Stang

Aug 22, 2004
Jersey Shore
It's got about 20k miles on it but I'm taking it out to put in a new 331 once I finish putting it together. But I still want to know to use it in this motor. I've always used Castrol GTX with a Purolator filter, and the Purolator Pure One to catch any extra material while it's getting broken in but just wondering since there's so many other brands.

Mustang5L5

Put lubricant all over the balls
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Castrol GTX and Motorcraft Filter

The motorcraft filter is a purolator filter in a Pure One Case

Black1987Stang

Aug 22, 2004
Jersey Shore
From the studies I've seen mainly from bob the oil guy I think it was, Purolator made the Motorcraft filters for Ford, and they're the same filters on the inside....

Basically I want to know what are the higher classifications of oil, like ASP, G, C, etc....I'm sure all the brands have lower classification for different types of oil, like the high mileage, synthetics, different weights, etc

justagt

Founding Member
Oct 26, 2000
Visit site
Brand

Motorcraft filter for sure.

Oil kind of depends on how often you change the oil, climate and how much you want to spend.

I run Mobil 10W30 myself and change it just before I put the car away for the winter, which is usually just under 3000 miles.

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
New York
Visit site
Use whatever you've been using. ave the good oil for your new engine after its got some miles on it. I run mobil 1 with a mobil 1 filter on both of my cars. Its a good group 3 oil. I'll be switching to a group 4 real synthetic on the Audi eventually.

82CapriRS

Dec 3, 2004
New Jersey
FL-1A motorcraft filter an castrol 10-30 the high milage oil. i have used K&N filters an im deff a fan of em its just that there alot of dough compared to the motorcraft.