Fox What cam? 8-10 psi hci 4:11 gears in my 65 EFI swap

Foot Hill

Dec 9, 2014
I’ve been out of the loop for years and last can I bought for my 89 ht was ford “E” cam.
My 65 fastback has efi swap from fox doner consisting of
73 mm mass air meter
65 mm TB
GT 40 tubular upper
GT 40 lower
DSS built Low compression bullet long block
9.25 compression forged pistons
Eddlebrock preformer 1.60/2.02 valves
Jba Shorty headers
2.5” magna flows
9” rear end
4:11 gears, Detroit locker, 31 spline axles

The block is non roller 1978
D8VE A3A (supposed to be strong)
Problem is it has early firing order and hyd flat tappet cam.
I’m ready to change it with a linked lifter Kit.
I will be adding vortech supercharger in near future
This is a street / strip hot rod that will see most of the time driving to my local drag track.
But I’ll get my power from supercharger so not looking for radical cam profile

What cam do you guys suggest?
B31?
Trick flow stage 1?
I’m totally out of the loop with the current hyd roller trends.
Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Fill out a cam card and have a custom one made, or they’ll recommend the best ots cam. Keep in mind that the best n/a cam and the best blower cam are not going to be the same thing.

If forced induction is in the near future I’d recommend going with a cam for that route. Ed Curtis and comp can both do you a nice custom cam for just a little more than ots.

Also, 4.11 gears are going to be pretty low for a blower. 3.55 or 3.73 would be better - if you have an automatic that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Fill out a cam card and have a custom one made, or they’ll recommend the best ots cam. Keep in mind that the best n/a cam and the best blower cam are not going to be the same thing.

If forced induction is in the near future I’d recommend going with a cam for that route. Ed Curtis and comp can both do you a nice custom cam for just a little more than ots.

Also, 4.11 gears are going to be pretty low for a blower. 3.55 or 3.73 would be better - if you have an automatic that is.

Ok cool. Good advice I’ll call them just wondering what the new trend is in roller cams so I’ll know what to expect and can make better desision if they give me choices.
And yes. The 4:11 gear set might be too mutch with standard 26” drag radiadials or dot slicks might run out.
I might have to fit 28”er’s
I’m running t-5 trans.

Stock HO (ze) cam is working great in my application. Since I hear you want to stay mild with the cam, you're on the right track.

Ok cool. Good advice I’ll call them just wondering what the new trend is in roller cams so I’ll know what to expect and can make better desision if they give me choices.
And yes. The 4:11 gear set might be too mutch with standard 26” drag radiadials or dot slicks might run out.
I might have to fit 28”er’s
I’m running t-5 trans.
Yes with the t5 I would definitely want to run a taller rear end gear with the blower. That t5 will be on borrowed time with slicks and clutch dumps lol.

Roller cam is definitely the way to go though. Pretty much more power right off the bat.

Yes it is a stock T5 right now but I’m currently saving up for an Astro or GForce rebuild kit in which I will do myself
I will not put a sticky tire to this thing with the stock transmission LOL
OK cool thanks everyone for the advice I will call Comp cams tomorrow and see what they think for a nice smooth idling cam that might favor the exhaust side a bit

Comp cams says there linked lifter kits require a reduced base circle cam.
I’ve only heard bad things about those (all internet info) but I called Lunati and they said there link bar lifters are compatible with standard base circle cam so that’s where I’m heading now.
Filled out cam card with flowtech Ed Curtis and waiting to hear back.
Hopefully I can get this valve trane modernized with there help.

Reactions: 2 users
went with new custom cam from comp
Had great customer service from Jay Adams and James Fry
Going with higher lift numbers than I expected but also lower duration and higher lobe separation so it should be pretty smooth for my Saturday night street/strip fastback
571/565 lift
222/232 duration @050
On 115* lobe separation
Similar to the over counter XE 274 HR grind, which measures 224/232 degrees of duration, 0.555/0.565 inch of lift, with 112 lobe separation
I’ve listened to plenty of YouTube videos with that Cam and I’m OK with its idle
I figured mine with three more degrees lobe separation should actually be a bit smoother also
- am I correct?

Yes, the two camps wont even seem close to the same.... the wider lobe separation keeps cylinder pressures up by limiting overlap.
For example I have a 573/577 224/236 114 cam. It idles very well in my 306.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, the two camps wont even seem close to the same.... the wider lobe separation keeps cylinder pressures up by limiting overlap.
For example I have a 573/577 224/236 114 cam. It idles very well in my 306.

OK that’s great news !
would you happen to have any clips available of your car idling ?
I’d love to know what it sounds like as our cams are very similar.

View: https://youtu.be/aHOvat2sdNQ

Not a walk around video but you can clearly hear the idle, keep in mind my car is far from stock.

That’s a great sounding engine!
Nice and smooth.
I’ll be using a Vortech v3 with hopefully enough boost to get me close to 500 engine horsepower
I’m thinking around 8 to 10 psi
What does your exhaust system and mufflers consist of? Sounds nice and deep. magnaflow’s?