What cam, and rockers for for my setup with 40p heads.

bjl95mustang

Founding Member
Jan 18, 2000
Austin,TX
I'm getting some p-heads for my short block. What cam and rockers should I run with this setup?

stock rebuilt 306 with stock style pistons
stock explorer intake
brand new gt-40p/explorer heads
explorer tb
full exhaust
24 injectors and maf

People have recommended the Anderson b-31, steeda19, ford b-e, and one from crane. I'm not sure on what rockers to go with either. Any help you guys could give me would be great,

Thanks,
Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

stock GT40 iron heads like around .490-.500 lift w/ a split that favors the exh. side in lift and dur. at about .008-.012 more in lift and 6-8 in dur. You realy wont get that much more out of more lift, you will simply be overcam'd.

I went with the tfs1 cam and it is good, a little bit on the high side of lift, I would not get anything with too much more lift. I know there is a cam (crane or anderson?) that is close to the # on the tfs1.

Instead of starting a new thread i'll just post in this one. I might be getting some P heads, and an Explorer intake soon. Its my DD, stock bottom end, stock gears. I'd like to get a 65mm TB to go with it, stick with 19#ers...

What would be a good cam that would make the most out of my heads and intake, and not be to radical for the street.

Should i go with a 65mm TB or bigger

What RR's should i get 1.6 or 1.7's?

I dont know much about cams...so enlighten me.

well i knew he was running an E cam, and i just saw the charts and they looked good. I know an E cam would prolly be good, along with any other cam similar to the E cam. What RR's should be used with an E cam?

matthiasj said:
well i knew he was running an E cam, and i just saw the charts and they looked good. I know an E cam would prolly be good, along with any other cam similar to the E cam. What RR's should be used with an E cam?

That don't sound right :nono: ........I wanna think it was a Comp cam but I'm pretty sure......almost positive......it was not an "E" cam.

I've seen too many E cam/iron head combo pulls and none of em looked like what I'm talkin about.

Sorry Brandon, I'm done with hijacking your thread now.

Later
Grady

matthiasj said:
his mod list says he has an E-303 and P heads...

You had me going there for a while there :bang:

Yes in his sig it shows an E cam

but

Next part of his sig is his latest combo and there he lists a Comp XE270

I did not come back to make it look like you were wrong and I was right.

Its just that I didn't want to give the E cam credit it did not deserve :rlaugh:

Later
Grady