What can one do to strengthen a stock block...

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
Just like the subject says...I know of a main support system that holds things together...anything to help prevent lifter valley from cracking..etc...any ideas or thoughts welcome.. :nice:

David

• Sponsors (?)

Nothing will prevent the block from cracking straight down the center, ther is no material in that area and no real way to re-enforce it. Hardblock will just help keep the cylinders round and add a little strength.

Actually there is. You can have it cryotreated. I don't know how much it costs, but it's cheaper than a Dart or A4 block. TSI turbo, a new company in Ohio does it, and said it really strengthens them up a lot. They are pushing several hundred HP more out of stock blocks under boost this way.

stangbear427 said:
Actually there is. You can have it cryotreated. I don't know how much it costs, but it's cheaper than a Dart or A4 block. TSI turbo, a new company in Ohio does it, and said it really strengthens them up a lot. They are pushing several hundred HP more out of stock blocks under boost this way.

Very true you could cyro the block, if I rememebr it was in the $400 range for a small block 8 cyl plus shipping both ways $200 or so.....

Here's a list

http://directory.google.com/Top/Science/Technology/Cryotechnology/Cryogenic_Processing_of_Materials/