What do i need to beat a 2008 Zo6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm not mistaken they make 430ish at the wheels and they weigh around 3100-3200 lbs. If you want to walk hard on one, you're going to need a lot more than just engine mods. You're going to need some serious traction. I think you can do it on the stock block, but it'll be pushing the limits.

My suggestion, if you're trying to do it as cheaply as possible, would be a h/c/i 302 with a 150-200 shot of nitrous, or you can keep the compression low and put on a stout blower or turbo system. n/a a motor like that would push 300 ish rwhp. With boost, going to 500ish at the wheels wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. A TKO tranny, sticky tires, 3.73 gears, and hardened 28 spline or 31 spline axles. You should consider suspension mods at this point too, but you can get away without them if you're just trying to beat a stock Z06. Then lighten the car to 3000 lbs or less. I think that combo would walk pretty good from a Z06 from a stop or roll. From a stop, you will annihilate him out of the hole.

You didn't ask this, but... From a roll you won't have anything on a new ZR1 unless you're pushing middle 500s at the wheels. From a stop, though, I don't think one could catch you in the 1/4. Your combo with traction should be knocking down mid 10s or better. Just keep the tune safe... 1 detonation event and everything is coming apart. Not to mention, you're already at the limits of the block itself.

Chris

I’m with fast on this one. A cheap h/c/I setup with nitrous or a turbo shouldn’t be much of a problem. With a turbo, you get the added benefit of running 3.27’s and keeping the RPM at a respectable level. It will be better with fuel economy….and give you a longer ratio for longer 4th gear pulls. If you can get your trap speed up to the 130 +/- range (which shouldn’t be too difficult with mild boost levels), you're average stock Z06 shouldn’t be much of a problem from a stop or a roll.

• Sponsors (?)

So a cam and exhaust netted 225 horse.....:rolleyes:

Wow you can do math. :shrug: Well, it says they changed pistons too but I'm guessing this is for a reliability reason as the compression ratio was the same. The stock cam is ridiculous. A 5.0 guy would look at that cam like it's a joke. Think about it, 427 cui, those kinda head flow numbers, 11:1 compression, and close to .700" lift. People don't understand how serious these motors are. Give them what they really want and they WILL respond.

wow, im surprised at the comments in here. There are many cheap pos foxbodies with minimal amounts of money in them running low 11's n/a. Last time i checked, the zo6 is nott a 10 second car

Oh I'm sure its easy enough to build a Fox to beat a Z06 on the strip. But you'll end up with a car that's probably not much of a street car anymore...and hopefully you don't want to actually turn. :D

I understand its a conversation....but I'd find that an odd goal with a car. :shrug:

wow, im surprised at the comments in here. There are many cheap pos foxbodies with minimal amounts of money in them running low 11's n/a. Last time i checked, the zo6 is nott a 10 second car

:Word: an 11 sec car is an 11 sec car, no matter who thinks one car technically on paper should be faster than the next

take a fox mustang and put 40,000 dollars in mods in it and see where that puts you :D

It may be an 11 sec car on street tires, but it comes with a 10 second trap speed. mid to high 120s means that car with sticky tires would go 10s, which it absolutely has already done. Look for some of the vids out there.

You don't have to build a 10 second fox to beat a stock one in the 1/4, but if you're going to walk away from one on the street, especially from a roll, then you do need a 10 sec fox.

Chris

:Word: an 11 sec car is an 11 sec car, no matter who thinks one car technically on paper should be faster than the next

take a fox mustang and put 40,000 dollars in mods in it and see where that puts you :D

Theres a HUGE difference between a hobbled together fox body running on the ragged edge going 11.20s on slicks, and a Z06 bone stock on 18" (maybe even 19") street radials going the same 11.20.

I am pretty sure those cars are trapping in the high 120 closing in on 130 mph range. It's going to take all of your $40K to get a fox to do that N/A, handle like its on rails, get the fuel mileage, and be as comfy as the Z06. The money debate is not a debate, your getting a LOT more for it with the Z06.

A stout HCI power adder car will run with one, a stroker motor with a power adder will, a well thought out all motor stroker, yes, even a 302-306 N/A with all the right parts can. But we are talking drag race oriented Mustangs for the most part.

There is a blue LX hatch on here that runs in the deep 10s, on a tire that would be a great example of running with a new Z06. I would be interested to hear him post.

Im partial to big small blocks. Remember a z06 is a 7 liter motor, 427ci....thats freakin big!!! Fastest way there is a 351 swap and stroke it to 408+. Properly built you WILL put down over 500hp to the pavement. You will also do it using a more "streetable" Cam and lower rpms.

If you got to build an engine go as big as you can....these days 331 and 347 shortblocks will cost about the same as 393 408. Just go bigger.... Firing order is the same on the 351 based motor....you can even keep the beloved EFI. My 383 windsor is extremely streetable.

I think if you put $40,000 in a fox the Z06 is still gonna be a better car. I dont car what you do to a fox, the z06 is still a better package, they paid millions of dollars to engineer this car to perform and be reliable. You could put $40,000 into a fox, and it still wont handle like a Z06... and if it did, take both cars, and hit a pothole, then tell me how your ass feels. :rlaugh:

Theres a HUGE difference between a hobbled together fox body running on the ragged edge going 11.20s on slicks, and a Z06 bone stock on 18" (maybe even 19") street radials going the same 11.20.

I am pretty sure those cars are trapping in the high 120 closing in on 130 mph range. It's going to take all of your $40K to get a fox to do that N/A, handle like its on rails, get the fuel mileage, and be as comfy as the Z06. The money debate is not a debate, your getting a LOT more for it with the Z06.

A stout HCI power adder car will run with one, a stroker motor with a power adder will, a well thought out all motor stroker, yes, even a 302-306 N/A with all the right parts can. But we are talking drag race oriented Mustangs for the most part.

There is a blue LX hatch on here that runs in the deep 10s, on a tire that would be a great example of running with a new Z06. I would be interested to hear him post.

A mild h/c/I setup on a stock 302 shortblock with a 8-12psi turbo setup is by no means living on the ragged edge. It’s not going to need slicks to turn low 11’s….and your typical MT 17” drag radial can be sufficient to reach into the 10’s. Of course, this can all be done while getting decent fuel economy (not that it matters). It’s not going to take a “drag race” oriented mustang to do all of this.

As for trap speed and time’s….according to here The C6 Z06 Fast List - Corvette Forum , your average Z06 is running 11.469 secs. @ 124.114 mph .

Were not comparing creature comforts or road handling characteristic here….just simply what it would take to beat one from both a stop or a roll.

The original poster asked "What do i need to beat a 2008 Zo6?" not "What do I need to do to make my car handle like a z06?" :)

We're talking about a straight line here, not potholes and slaloms

I think if you put $40,000 in a fox the Z06 is still gonna be a better car. I dont car what you do to a fox, the z06 is still a better package, they paid millions of dollars to engineer this car to perform and be reliable. You could put $40,000 into a fox, and it still wont handle like a Z06... and if it did, take both cars, and hit a pothole, then tell me how your ass feels. :rlaugh:

Get some really soft seats in the fox and your ass will feel fine after a pot hole!!!:D

The original poster asked "What do i need to beat a 2008 Zo6?" not "What do I need to do to make my car handle like a z06?" :)

imagine that. people are trying to steer away from the op's question and tryin to find ways to put the mustang down in other ways. supposed to be a mustang website. the answer to the op's question is simple. It doesnt take much time or money to embarass a 60k dollar stock z06. He even metions about using a 347 stroker. you all know what you can do with a high compression stroker. Yeah, it is kinda neat to have an old foxbody with different color quarters whoopin a shiny z06. Would any of us want a z06 over a fox? Of course! thats not whats in question here:flag:

imagine that. people are trying to steer away from the op's question and tryin to find ways to put the mustang down in other ways. supposed to be a mustang website. the answer to the op's question is simple. It doesnt take much time or money to embarass a 60k dollar stock z06. He even metions about using a 347 stroker. you all know what you can do with a high compression stroker. Yeah, it is kinda neat to have an old foxbody with different color quarters whoopin a shiny z06. Would any of us want a z06 over a fox? Of course! thats not whats in question here:flag:

Nope... If I wanted a new Z06 over a built fox, I would've gotten one. I like having a C5, and I love having a fox, and I ain't skeered of any factory vette in a street race.

Chris

He didnt specify straight line performance, the question was pretty vague, and im not trying to put down mustangs, i love my notchback and i take pride in the work i've done to it, anyone can buy a car but i built myne. But its going to take some serious work to keep up with a Z06, If one pulled up next to me at a light, i would probly beat it, but i certainly wouldnt walk on the thing.

I'd like to see one of these cheap pos 11 second cars, It's not the cheapest thing to get a car into the 11's NA, nitrous is a diffretn story

Yeah I don't think anyone is putting down a Fox. While they're great platforms and great cars considering how old they actually are....they still have limitations just like everything else.

These types of threads are always funny. Hell you could take any car and make it beat a Z06 in a drag race if you wanted.

and if you replace practically the entire car with aftermarket or race equipment....its really not much of a Fox anymore. :shrug:

Yeah I don't think anyone is putting down a Fox. While they're great platforms and great cars considering how old they actually are....they still have limitations just like everything else.

These types of threads are always funny. Hell you could take any car and make it beat a Z06 in a drag race if you wanted.

and if you replace practically the entire car with aftermarket or race equipment....its really not much of a Fox anymore. :shrug:

i know of a hyandai elantra that runs 10.60s... :ack: and its got 4 drag radials on it. :scratch: ;)

You don't have to build a 10 second fox to beat a stock one in the 1/4, but if you're going to walk away from one on the street, especially from a roll, then you do need a 10 sec fox.
:eek: That is crazy. I was never a fan of Corvettes until the C6 Z06 was released but the ZR1 is insane. The first Vette ever to grace my top-10 list of "If I Win The Lotto" cars. :rlaugh:

This thread actually struck me as a bit trollish. I'm not saying what camaro is here to start trouble but its probably someone who ventured over from another board trying to settle an argument. I could be wrong. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.