What do yall think this is worth?

ejschmitt

Mar 25, 2011
A friend asked what I thought her mustang would be worth, although I know a bit about cars I do not know much about mustangs.
Some info:

1965 Mustang Convertible. 289 CID 200 HP V-8 Engine. Caspian Blue. White
Manual Top. 4 Speed Manual Transmission.

We are the original owners. We have all maintenance records. Car has been
garaged since we have owned it. Car has been in Miami since 1969. Mileage is

Pictures: 1965 Mustang

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a nice car. What a car is worth and what you can sell it for are often quite different. I would think an original V8 vert is somewhere around $18,000 - $20,000 maybe more. I may get slammed. I bought my vert 19 years ago for $5000 and I think the value has gone up since then.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...... mis-matched tires, aftermarket A/C, horse shoes attached to the taillight panel???? Imagonna say $250, but just 'cause I'm a nice guy; I'd go as high as $500, providing you deliver it. :rlaugh:

Now that THAT silliness is out of the way; the value of the car could be very high; although I'm not sure you'd see a lot over $10k in this economy. The prime detractor in early Mustangs is rust. Now, if this is a one-owner always-garaged car, things look pretty good; because that's the biggest rust-deterrent in any climate. However, any really serious (like "$10k or more" serious) prospective buyer is going to check in all the usual locations: The cowl vents, the very front of the floor pans (that's where the water goes and sits if the cowl is leaking), bottom rear corners of the doors. In a vert, probably the trunk and rear seatback areas (if water has leaked into the "well" where the top goes when you're sitting in the sun). Battery tray (if a battery "burps", the acid eats metal); lower radiator core support; frame stubs front and rear. Original 4 spd tranmission? That's worth some money right there. Be prepared to watch a guy crawling under the car and in the trunk, poking at the floors with a screwdriver; maybe running a magnet over the body panels, looking for bondo. It's no mistrust over this particular seller; just a healthy dose of "reality" from a buyer whose already heard the sad-but-true story of a guy who paid almost $25 thou for a '65 (or was it '66?) "PRISTINE" 'vert from a "reputable restorer/dealer" and found out the rusty shell was held together (barely) with fiberglass patches and old STOP signs; and was beyond repair.

If this car is as good as it could possibly be, and the buyer has money from somewhere; the seller could be making some serious bank and know that the car was going to lead a pampered life. It's all in the non-subjective condition of the car.