WHat do you guys think I should do?

03SonicSvt

Feb 3, 2004
Philly, Pa
I currently have a 03 Cobra pushing almost 500rwhp. I am only 20 and I'll I want to do is mod my car more but don't have any money due to car payments and insurance. I was thinking of selling it and buying a fox body, building the engine up and slapping on some twin's :D, plus I have always liked the 5.0's and the way they sound compared to the 4.6. If you were in my situation what would you do. How much money do you think I am looking at, I still owe about 14,000 on the cobra.

• Sponsors (?)

Dont do anything, keep the 03 and enjoy it. "Almost 500 rwhp" is plenty more then the majority of the fox guys in these forums. Why the hell would u wanna downgrade to coach when ur flying in business class now? Continue to pay off the car payments and insurance, dont u realize that your sitting on a goldmine. The 03 powerplant can take TONS of power, why would u want a fox body 5.0 that cant handle 500 hp without breakin **** and upgrading EVERYTHING??

I like having a project if you know what I mean. I always buy new cars, have no extra money to enjoy because it all goes into my car. I could buy a nice fox body for 8k, have no more car payments, have extra money in the bank, exta money to mod it and actually start putting money away for the future. I am just looking into doing this, seeing how it would help me financially.

Dude you're nuts. LOL You want a hobby then build model airplanes.

No... seriously... if you're looking for a project then start with one you can take your time with. Salvage a motor from a junk yard and build it up a piece at a time. Once you're done, either sell it to pay for your next project or find a donor body to drop it into. Swapping your Cobra for what may end up being a headache in a can, would not be my first option.

03-04 Cobra's are badass, I wouldn't do anything to the car except maybe a pulley change, change the computer then, and maybe exhaust. I saw Hotrod TV or something like that change the pulley and such and have it close to 430HP at the wheels, I forget what the TQ was.

_JB_ said:
03-04 Cobra's are badass, I wouldn't do anything to the car except maybe a pulley change, change the computer then, and maybe exhaust. I saw Hotrod TV or something like that change the pulley and such and have it close to 430HP at the wheels, I forget what the TQ was.
Not to mention that everything on the Cobra is practically brand new!
I see and hear a lot of Fox owners wanting to put in Cobra parts to make theirs a little more like the 03-04's. But the truth is even if you put all Cobra drivetrain, brakes and seats and such it will still not be near as nice as it is in a new Cobra.

89sleeper said:
Not to mention that everything on the Cobra is practically brand new!
I see and hear a lot of Fox owners wanting to put in Cobra parts to make theirs a little more like the 03-04's. But the truth is even if you put all Cobra drivetrain, brakes and seats and such it will still not be near as nice as it is in a new Cobra.

Yeah I'm at the point where I don't like to work on my car because I've had to put so much new stuff in it, and it still won't idle right for 30 seconds when it sits for 7+ hours.

I've been thinking lately i'd actually like to have an 03 cobra, how ironic! I would keep the 03 dude, like the others said, it's a new car, stuff isn't breaking yet...hopefully.

with a fox body, you're looking at at least 12 yr old cars and stuff happens. If you bought one that was already nice, that might be the cheapest way to go because people never get out of them what they put in. You think sirsureshot would get 30 g's for his car? Not a chance! Nice car, but people just won't pay what you have in it.

I don't know, my GT has just been plagued w/ problems, so I may be biased. You COULD find a solid car, but when you push the power it sounds like you want to push, stock stuff won't hold up.

I'll bet insurance on the cobra is outrageous for you though...i'm 20 and that's why I won't buy a cobra or vette until i'm a little older so insurance won't rape me

_JB_ said:
Yeah I'm at the point where I don't like to work on my car because I've had to put so much new stuff in it, and it still won't idle right for 30 seconds when it sits for 7+ hours.
Yeah. I have been recently debating on selling my Coupe and getting an 03-04. But I know if I do I will regret it later. Nice looking Foxes are hard to come by now a days........03-04 Cobras are not.

89sleeper said:
Yeah. I have been recently debating on selling my Coupe and getting an 03-04. But I know if I do I will regret it later. Nice looking Foxes are hard to come by now a days........03-04 Cobras are not.

Yeah I was thinking about selling my car for the WS6 I want, but then I like my car and only owe my parents $400 for it. I pay $36 a month for PL and PD, so I can afford this car lol.

03SonicSvt said:
I had a 2000 CamaroSS before my 03 cobra and it seems like I have been broke ever since. I just thought it would be nice to have some money in my pocket that I don't have to spend on my car for once :(

Well, if you just cant afford it, that's understandable. I would do everything I could to keep the car, but if you do want more money in your pocket, then getting a fox body stang and modifying it to your desire could be a good option. Not all of us can afford large payments, so if you just can't afford it, that's understandable. Or maybe you should try selling off some of your organs....who needs a liver when you've got a '03 Cobra!
:nice:

Trefty said:
Well, if you just cant afford it, that's understandable. I would do everything I could to keep the car, but if you do want more money in your pocket, then getting a fox body stang and modifying it to your desire could be a good option. Not all of us can afford large payments, so if you just can't afford it, that's understandable. Or maybe you should try selling off some of your organs....who needs a liver when you've got a '03 Cobra!
hmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe that is a good idea. lol..j/k. I am not that strapped for cash I guess I just need a better job so I can mod my car faster. I hate waiting to have extra money for stuff that I want, I never really had patience when it came to mods for my car. :D

03SonicSvt said:
hmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe that is a good idea. lol..j/k. I am not that strapped for cash I guess I just need a better job so I can mod my car faster. I hate waiting to have extra money for stuff that I want, I never really had patience when it came to mods for my car. :D

Yea, I hear ya. Tis the life of most Mustang owners. So many mods, so little cash. :(

Trefty said:

Yeah I remember hearing on Howard Stern or something you can sell your left testicle for $30k. :shrug:

I am so close to selling my LX that I spent 18 grand on..I might get 8-9 grand for it..and using this money for a down payment n an 04 cobra vert..Any one interested let me know..If the situation comes up I might sell it, otherwise I am gonna finish it and try to convince myself to keep it and be debt free.

I think the thing that is killing 03SonicSVT is his insurance, 20 years old with a 400HP car, wow. Insurance will drop a little when you are 21, then a whole lot more when your 25, and keeping a clean driving record also helps. Still, though, it will be pretty high.

Sometimes I look at my car and consider all of what I have done to it, money and time, and thought of how there are many cars stock that will be equal or greater in acceleration. Then I think how if I spent all this money on a LS1 powed vehicle or a Cobra or something like that just how fast it would be. Plus it would be a much nicer, new car. Then I consider I don't have a car payment, insurance is dirt cheap, and the taxes on it I ususally have in my wallet anyways, I don't feel so bad. I paid 5K for it, put a little more than 10K into it, and for 15K, I think it's pretty good, plus I did it, and considering where the car was compared to now.