What do you think of my plans?

proxses

Founding Member
Dec 12, 2000
Dayton, Oh
Ok, I have to replace the crank in my motor. I'm going to supercharge it, and while checking to see if the motor would take it, I found a few problems , so new crank.
Anyway, since this is the last time I plan on having the motor out, I think I'm going to put a bunch in it. So, here are the plans for now:

331 stroker shortblock Forged pistons, nodular crank
-(new flywheel, harmonic balancer as well)- fully balanced
Trickflow stg 1 cam
Eaton M112 supercharger from a Lightning about 5-6 lbs boost.
30lb injectors / MAF
1.6 roller rockers

I still have the stock heads, but they are ported. With the Eaton, I was going for torque in the first place, so this combo should help out nicely.
I'm getting the cam to help the heads a bit. Or do you think it is a bad idea?

Should be about $2500

Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of lower intake/adapter does it take to make the Eaton work with the 302? I've always been interested in a positive displacement blower for mine, but the KB's won't fit because on mine they interfere with the brake booster. But I have all kinds of hood clearance so keeping it in the middle would work. How does the drive snout clear the distributor?

I had the snout custom made at a machine shop. It goes right over the distributer. Being in a Ranger I have tons of hood clearance as well, but for this I'm going to have to cut out some hood bracing to make it fit.
Here is a pic.

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 68
Looks like fun - but WAY TOO tall for my application. Mine needs to sit right down on top of the manifold like it did in the 'Bird or the new Cobra.

Do you need any extra support for that snout? To get the belt tight enough is gonna put quite a moment on the snout/case. Will you have to remove the snout or blower to remove the distributor cap or distributor?

I've seen drive systems with a shaft that run down beside the case (driver's side in this case) and drives the blower with a small belt from the back side. The shaft sits far enough to the driver's side to clear the distributor.

Yes, the snout does need a support, and I just finished making a template for it this afternoon. It supports the front from off the waterpump bolts. I'm going to take it over to the machine shop on Wed., and have it made out of a 1/2" thick plate of aluminum. Then I'm going to polish it. A little extra eye candy won't hurt.

And I too have seen the blowers with the side shaft. I just couldn't think of a cheap way of doing it, so I just had a longer snout made. I have been praying that ithe blower would clear my hood. Thankfully it does!

Edit: Yes, the blower does have to be unbolted to get the distributer or cap off. But I can time it with the blower in place. I pretty much have to use a feeler gauge to measure the distance between the plug boots and the snout. But, it clears!