What do you think

cobra commander72

Feb 3, 2019
west
I have a 06 supercharged mustang GT 4.6 3v. I got hit about 2 years ago and I parked it (NOT MY FAULT). So it’s time to fix it with a few upgrades, let me get down to the meat and potatoes of this. I took it to this shop and told him that I wanted to put in some new cams and springs. At first he tells me it’s going to be $2800 I already had put about 6G in the body, but the funds are going low and the wife is getting upset, he puts them in and says that it is $3250 and we have a problem. Your motor is bad and you need a new block you have an oil pressure of 25 and you need 40 and he can’t find the stoppage so I ask around and called the guys over at MMR motorsports and they told me it is probably the oil pump or the timing. The next day I repeated to him all this stuff that MMR said to me and he tells me that he checked all of that (IN ONE DAY WITH A 2 WEEK BACK LOG) and I needed to get a new motor again and it would be about 3k to put it in I told him that I was going to finish the project in June so I toed the car back to my house but at the end of our conversation just before I took the car I said to him I bet the blockage ( IF ANY ) is in the heads and he said I think that’s where it’s at too. So I’m thinking if you thought that was the problem and you checked all the other stuff why the hell did you not just take the heads off and had them cleaned. Now I do have somewhat basic knowledge of mustangs. But all this sounds like BS to me what do you guys think. PS the motor that I am getting is a 4.75 1000SE from MMR I already placed the order because I wanted a hell of an upgrade to make power. But something smell fishy or is it just me. Again what do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

I think that everybody involved with this project to date, has no idea what is going on.

Does anyone else who's read this through think that the oil pump is bad or that there's a 'blockage' in the heads or block?

Why would someone pay that kind of money to install springs and cams in an otherwise stock motor?

If you're getting a motor from MMR you should get MMR to install it if that's possible. There is no way on this earth I'd take my car back to the same knuckle dragger who installed cams and springs into a 'bad motor'.

The FiAL is strong.

I feel like OP doesn't know anything about cars while everyone else in the equation knew that and wanted to see how much money they all could get out of OP before he caught on or ran out of funding.

NO! The problem is that I asked 15 mechanic in the area and no one would touch it. They would say that they cant work on it or not know 3V, that's just what they told me and the best guy in town has a 1 year waiting list and I don't have the time or equipment to do it. I have two stores to run so that leaves no time for car maintenance/mods and by the way the hour wage hear is $125/hr so I'm at the mercy of the so called mechanics hear

Why did you do springs-required cams? There are lots of good NSR (no springs required) cams out there that offer essentially the same power gains.

I did my NSR cams a couple years ago, first time I had ever touched cams in a modular, took me about 4 hours start to finish.

Why did you do springs-required cams? There are lots of good NSR (no springs required) cams out there that offer essentially the same power gains.

I did my NSR cams a couple years ago, first time I had ever touched cams in a modular, took me about 4 hours start to finish.

I went with crower cams I spoke with them and they told me that it would work better with my application or supercharger. But to be honest with you out side of the time restraints I was afraid to do it. I had so many people tell me that I could lose a valve and would half to take the head off to retrieve it. And I know the story that you can compressed it with an air hose to hold them up but I don't have a air compressor to do that.

I think that everybody involved with this project to date, has no idea what is going on.

Does anyone else who's read this through think that the oil pump is bad or that there's a 'blockage' in the heads or block?

Why would someone pay that kind of money to install springs and cams in an otherwise stock motor?

If you're getting a motor from MMR you should get MMR to install it if that's possible. There is no way on this earth I'd take my car back to the same knuckle dragger who installed cams and springs into a 'bad motor'.

The FiAL is strong.

Just spoke to MMR today they do not install anymore, they just build them. Do you know anyone who can do it I am thinking of sending it out of state to get this done. You see this is the problem that I have no one with in 100 miles that will do it and if they do chances are they have a bad rep and I'm not taking that chance with a $7000 short block.

Just spoke to MMR today they do not install anymore, they just build them. Do you know anyone who can do it I am thinking of sending it out of state to get this done. You see this is the problem that I have no one with in 100 miles that will do it and if they do chances are they have a bad rep and I'm not taking that chance with a $7000 short block.

I don't live in your area but there's a
Bill's Dynamometer Tune Up Center
in Tacoma that says it's been there since 1971. They don't appear to have a website.

I went with crower cams I spoke with them and they told me that it would work better with my application or supercharger. But to be honest with you out side of the time restraints I was afraid to do it. I had so many people tell me that I could lose a valve and would half to take the head off to retrieve it. And I know the story that you can compressed it with an air hose to hold them up but I don't have a air compressor to do that.

Well they fed you a little misinformation...SPR cams only offer marginal gains over NSR cams especially on stock heads- not to mention that you can max out a factory engine's horsepower limit with a supercharger and no other mods at all. They're really only useful if you want to rev it sky high. With NSR cams you don't even have to take the followers out, it's super easy and zero risk of dropping a valve. But, that's water under the bridge now.

Well they fed you a little misinformation...SPR cams only offer marginal gains over NSR cams especially on stock heads- not to mention that you can max out a factory engine's horsepower limit with a supercharger and no other mods at all. They're really only useful if you want to rev it sky high. With NSR cams you don't even have to take the followers out, it's super easy and zero risk of dropping a valve. But, that's water under the bridge now.

Dam I wished that I spoke to you before I got raped like this. But let me ask you this,when I get this new short block do you think if I polish and port the heads before I put it on that it will make more power or should I just say f*** it and buy new heads

OK for all you and I am not talking about all of you that had to give me a hard time about some advice that I asked for all of you where wrong. It's was the chain tensioners and a starched timing chain. Some of you said something about my money running out. That's not my issue I've got that and more covered. I was on hear a few months ago trying to get some help and advice on what I thought would be a good route to go. Not on my money or being take for a fool as some of you in so many words said. I came on hear to meet other mustang enthusiast that shared the love for mustangs. No matter what my experience level might be. I believed that we could all learn something. Just because you've had a shop or drove a mustang for 50 years does not make a person the know it all when it come to cars. Well never the less my car is up 758hp and 732TQ. Thank you for those that did give me advice and help.