What does everyone think about the BBK SSI "new" intake manifold?

FastGT50Stang

Sep 19, 2005
Chicago
I've been looking into it and i've been comparing all these different types of intake manifolds and was still unable to come up w/ a decision!

But, i've noticed that all these intake manifolds for FOX-BODIES including: edelbrock's, gt40's, holley's and trickflow's all look the same and carry the same features; give or take a few horses.

Then, this BBK SSI intake manifold pops out of nowhere in 2005 and it looks great, is supposed to make up to 35 horsepower, it's ready for nitrous, with its' ports, its features open runner high-flow lower manifold as well as a high torque twin plenum upper intake, it comes w/ fuel rails, a huge 75mm t/b opening and a built in EGR spacer!

That sounds pretty damn good for only about $600 and i think it looks awesome!:SNSign:

DOES ANYONE know someone that has this intake manifold, a friend w/ a 5.0 or something and what do you or they think about it, it is worth it and can you feel the power difference?

• Sponsors (?)

There has been a few hundred threads on this (search!). It's overrated with no solid testing to back it up, and it's not even out yet. IMO it's poorly designed (so many bends to get to 5 and 8), and let's not forget that the GT40 kicked its ass...up 20 to 30 ft.lbs in the midrange.

Go back an issue or two in Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords - they tested the new BBK and several popular intakes - GT40, Edelbrock, Trick Flow - I believe those among others. The BBK was very average. The much-maligned GT40 had better average numbers than all of them....probably what rs200 was referring to.

It was the May issue of 5.0 & SF, with the orange '05 on the cover. Article was "Street intake dyno" on page 48. The car was equipped with AFR 165s, typical boltons and a Comp Camps 258 bumpstick, and the contenders were the stock 5.0 intake (snicker), the BBK Si, FRPP GT40, Edelbrock Performer and Trick Flow Street Heat. The aftermarket intakes were mostly the same, except for the BBK giving up a lot of torque down low for some kick around 6000 RPM, where it was roughly 10hp up on the competition.

Peak numbers:

Stock 5.0: 321hp @ 5100, 378 ft.lbs @ 3600
BBK SSi: 367hp @ 5600, 381 ft.lbs @ 4600
GT-40: 363hp @ 5600, 391 ft.lbs @ 3900
Performer: 366hp @ 5500, 387 ft.lbs @ 4000
Street Heat: 366hp @ 5400, 386 ft.lbs @ 4400

the bbk is cool for looks, i def like it, i'd paint the plenum "rails" the color of my car, and then theme out the engine bay like that - like than i'd get the FMS valvecovers w/ the fins, and paint the fins as well!

i would never buy an GT40 is too spencive and you are restricted for future mods even if you port it only makes low end torque and up end dies everything torque hp's all and BBK looks great and little bit cheaper!

This months issue of 5.0 (just got it yesterday) again tested intakes on a 347 with a few others to compare:
SSi, RPMII,Track Heat, Holley & GT-40

The engine consisted of a CHP shortblock, AFR185's, a Comp XE282HR, 36lbers and all the usual engine dress.

I can't give you all of the comparison results, you'll have to check it out yourself to draw your own conclusion.

CoupedUp said:
This months issue of 5.0 (just got it yesterday) again tested intakes on a 347 with a few others to compare:
SSi, RPMII,Track Heat, Holley & GT-40

The engine consisted of a CHP shortblock, AFR185's, a Comp XE282HR, 36lbers and all the usual engine dress.

I can't give you all of the comparison results, you'll have to check it out yourself to draw your own conclusion.
but put it on peaks of each intakes and rpm's like RS200 did!

i also have seen them dyno in the 5.0 mustang mag, it seems that if you are playing with bolt ons the gt40 performs a little better, but if your reving over 5500 the gt40 dies, then go with the bbk.I am not forgetting the eddies and TF b/c they are top notch, but just comparing the bbk and gt40.IMO i would pick the bbk either way b/c of its price with the TB and fuel rails, looks great too.

Hi. I have an SSI manifold on a Ford crate engine in a kit cobra. I figured at 350 horse and 2200 lbs. it should move, and I wanted the latest greatest manifold. Unfortunately, what moved was coolant through the manifold in a fissure and leaked out by the #4 cylinder manifold bolt. Also I have to mention the spacing on the fuel rails does not match the spacing on the intake ports so the injectors are not parallel, and they leaked gasoline on the intake manifold. This was after I spent 2 hours grinding casting flash out of intake runners to improve flow.

I contacted John Brockman at BBK who has been very gracious and helpful. I boxed up the manifold and fuel rails to return to BBK, but FedEx has no record of a request to pick it up for a return to BBK.

I have been trying so hard to get this car together and now I am stuck with a manifold that leaks. I have no other recourse than to sue BBK in small claims court.

:notnice:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

- David

Attachments

• SMALL2.JPG
    SMALL2.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 667
  • SMALL4.JPG
    SMALL4.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 773