what does it mean when piston tops look like this.

i am having more car issues, and had to pull the motor out of the car. the tops of my pistons look like this. and its not just one.... they all look exactly the same with the same amount of coverage and the exact same clean spot. the carbon buildup is much thicker in persion than it looks in a pic. plus the pic was taken with my blackberry tour, so its not fantastic.

too rich or lean? not enough octane even though i am running 93?

2wexrhy.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

what's the surface like under the crap? Does it come off? And how easy? Is it clearly on the surface, or is some of that burned piston material?

The only piston tops I've ever seen were grayed with fine soot, otherwise looked like a new piston. No idea how many miles were actually on the motor, but it was a factory 289 swapped into a '67 390 Mustang GT sometime prior to ~1987, so anyone's guess as to the origins, mileage, and "stockness" of that motor, but it looked nice inside :) I'm guessing that was an ideal case after seeing yours :)

It doesn't look catastrophic, more like oil residue forced up past rings. That could be caused by a blocked PCV valve AFAIK.

What was the engine doing before you took it apart? Was it smoking badly? What color?

That clean spot almost looks like oil, or gas, or water was collecting inside the cylinders. The tops of the pistons look pitted, as if you were getting some pretty bad detonation.