What does the coil pack Capacitor do ?

• Sponsors (?)

or how about make the capacitor bigger..which would send more voltage ?
no. In fact a larger capacitor would cause additional spark energy to be grounded.
If one was to eliminate the capacitor..
The purpose of the ignition capacitor is to reduce high frequency radio interference (static) that could be picked up by the radio. So if you were to remove the ignition capacitor it's possible to have static electrical noise induced into various electrical systems within the car. This size of the capacitor is chosen to ground the spectrum that overlaps that of broadcast radio.

Spark-gap transmitter

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
no. In fact a larger capacitor would cause additional spark energy to be grounded.

The purpose of the ignition capacitor is to reduce high frequency radio interference (static) that could be picked up by the radio. So if you were to remove the ignition capacitor it's possible to have static electrical noise induced into various electrical systems within the car. This size of the capacitor is chosen to ground the spectrum that overlaps that of broadcast radio.

Spark-gap transmitter
Interesting. Where is that located? Because sometimes I swear I can hear my supercharger in my radio. Wonder if it's bad.

A high pitch whine in the radio is more likely to be a bad alternator. Likely a bad alternator diode (excessive AC ripple).

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test

If the noise is from the ignition it would pulse on/off with RPM.

Last edited: