what foot print can fit on a pony?

Im want to put some drag radials on my car now that the 347 is running nice. What is the widest that I can fit in the rear with out any mods to the rear end? I also am looking for the widest for the front too. I would like to keep the same hight in tire but would be fine with a bit taller, not much though.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

With respect to any of the responses you might recieve...Unless you are in it for the "look" of wide tires, the testing suggests that wider is not always better, in terms of performance. The tire compound, itself, is more of a factor in regards to traction...then your suspension geometry. The difference in actual contact patch between an 8" wide tire and a 10" wide tire is suprisingly small. Wide, heavy tires, many times, will slow a car down due to drag, and may pose handling issues. It makes the car "heavy footed". Sort of like you trying to run the 100 yard dash in your winter boots vs. your running shoes.

That said, I agree, that fat "meats" on a car really looks cool.

I use 275/50/r15's on 15x8 (5.5" backspaced) draglites in the back with no fitting problems. It's pretty tight though, and I've heard of folks having to remove their quad shocks to get this size on (I didn't). 245's fit in the front but rub slightly with the wheel cut. Also the last poster is right, wider is not always better as far as traction is concerned. You can probably stick just as well with a good choice of tires and 225's all around. You can even go thinner up front and free up some drag but then your steering power will suffer.

I,m not really out for the look, its more so hook up and street performance. I would loke to ask id any one does know the size in BFG ET,s or Nittos that I can fit then. I see tha they are not rated in the normal way, being 225/50/16, but as in inchs.

Thanks