What Gauges with Forced Induction Motors (Supercharged or Turboed)

chasenichols

Feb 5, 2008
Seattle
I am planning on putting a blower or turbo kit in my 95 cobra and want to be able to manage everything as well as possible in order to protect my investment. So I need to know what is going on inside.

Here are all the gauges that I think could be of some value and why I think they may be needed.

Water Temp and Oil Temp so I know when the motor is ready to rip.

Boost/Vac, A/F Ratio (via wideband O2 sensor), Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, and EGT so I can know if I am outside of any safe operating limits or if something has broken.

Now that is a $#!% load of gauges, 7 in total. 2 gauges (water temp and oil pressure) are in the original cluster but are almost worthless. Even if I used the 5 I think I need that would clutter the hell out of my interior (no offences to those who like the look).

My question is, out of these gauges which ones do I really need? Boost is obvious, A/F is critical for FI an engine, so is fuel pressure, and oil temp is good to know, and EGT would be really nice.

Let me know what you think!

• Sponsors (?)

Vac/Boost, Fuel Pressure, Wideband O2. My opinion is that if you dont like the look of the gauges you can do without the fuel presswure as your a/f reading will drop and indicate a lean condiotion due to the lack of fuel or fuel pressure.

Vac/Boost, Fuel Pressure, Wideband O2. My opinion is that if you dont like the look of the gauges you can do without the fuel presswure as your a/f reading will drop and indicate a lean condiotion due to the lack of fuel or fuel pressure.

Great minds think alike.. that was the only thing I was going to add :)

DSC00703.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00703.jpg
    DSC00703.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 239
IMHO, once you get your tune down.....you really only need an accurate h20 gauge an maybe an oil pressure gauge. The boost/vac gauge is nice....but it only tells you what you already know. The same with a fuel pressure gauge. If it were me in your shoes....I'd skip most of them and pony up for a wideband with datalogging capabilities.

When you get right down to it ...
A gauge is used for a reference point :)

True ... You want to be accurate :nice:
but
Even if you are a bit off ... You'll see a prob if something is different ;)

I tune my Stang myself and Yes ... I got a WB but it is not displayed cause
I found the digital display box was skewing my results somewhat :bang:

Now ... I can see my true a/f ratio in my data logs or realtime with the LT :D
but
Like was said above ...

My tune is stable and my need to see the ratio is not really needed
so I have no concern about seeing it ... at all times

Also ... I like to keep a real low profile :D
so
Without all those gauges ...
It looks like any other Stang you see parked in the parking lot ;)

Now as for your boosted application ..........

I'd be wanting to see my fuel pressure & boost at all times :Word:

Seeing fuel pressure rise with boost would give me peace of mind :rlaugh:

Grady

I don't run any gauges in mine, but if I were to pick one for a f/i car it would be AFR. Second choice would be oil pressure.

My take is that if something is up with the car I will know it and get off it - the rest of things happen to quickly to interpret a gauge and take action... at WOT gauges are the last thing I am trying to pay attention to. :)

Wes

Damn! I just posted this Friday and now i'm checking it Monday! You guys must have way too much free time on your hands! JK, thanks for the input.:D

So to summurize, it sounds like V/B, fuel pressure, and A/F (via wideband O2) is the best three to get.:nice:

Apparently no one thinks the EGT is of much importance. I guess there is nothing more to learn than what you could get from a WB O2 as far letting you know if somthing is wrong.:rolleyes:

And same for the Oil temp...nice but not nesessary. Any one think differently?

What does everyone think about Oil Pressure? the stock one is pretty much on/off. Will that really cut it?:shrug:

Water temp sucks too, but i guess we can live with the crap that Ford gave us.:notnice:

Thanks for the input!

P.S. TurboGT - Your gauges look sick! I did the same fix for my main cluster and HVAC controls. Looks amazing and only cost like 23 bucks! I feel like telling everyone with 94+ they need to do this! :nice:

I tune with EGT on the dyno for vehicles setup for it - EGT is a relative number that is influenced by sensor placement, altitude and a multitude of other things. I think it would be hard to utilize that gauge usefully in vehicle driving.

Factory gauges/dummy lights aren't bad from a "wow something is wrong" point of view but aftermarket is nice when you want to know exactly what is going on.

Wes