What have I got - 1965 or 1966?

RDWilley

Jun 2, 2011
Hi, I'm new to this forum but not to Mustangs. I've owned my convertible since 1988 or so. The time has come to go completely through it. I always assumed that it was a 1965. The certificate of title indicates 1965, it has 65 grill and headlight "gills" however, the data plate shows it as a 1966 maunfactured 2 Nov. 1965. It does not have any side "air scoops, but does have a five gauge circular dash grouping. The motor, transmission and origional color are consistent with the data plate.

What have I got? Is it a 1965 - 1966 or an early Pick your Part Special? Any help on this one would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Look at the VIN stamped into the top of the fender apron under the hood. It is stamped on both sides of the car, but only the driver's side fender is notched so that you can actually read it with the fender installed. Both sides should obviously match. Remember, Door Tags can be changed.

teh best place to find the correct vin number is on the dash on the drivers side at the bottom of the windshield. if it starts with a 6 then you have a 66, if a 5 then you have a 65. the grill and other parts can easily be changed.

teh best place to find the correct vin number is on the dash on the drivers side at the bottom of the windshield. if it starts with a 6 then you have a 66, if a 5 then you have a 65. the grill and other parts can easily be changed.

Mustangs didn' have the VIN on the dash until 68. The earlier cars can only be verified by the VIN on the fender aprons. If that VIN matches your title, you have a 66. It does matter what parts you see on the vehicle. Most anything can be changed.

Thanks much everyone. Looks like I have a 66'. I've had this car for 20+ years now and always thought it was a 65. I only checked the data plate to find out the origional interior and exterior colors. Never entered my mind to check the year. Looks like I will be getting a new grill and filler cap along with everything else.

Have a good weekend.

Dick

Unless you're going for a concours restoration and if you like it the way it looks now just leave it!. No need to change all the stuff just cause the year is different. I have a '66 myself and when I get around to aesthetics I'm going for more of a '65 look with my grill as well.