What header coating won't rust?

• Sponsors (?)

Stainles steel won't rust but it will discolor.

I was posting back and forth with a guy on corral who used POR15 exhaust paint on his bbk longtbes and he said it worked really good. You gotta prep the surface good first. he had his sandblasted to remove the chrome down to bare steel.

I'm gonna probably be picking up a set of used bassani longtubes soon nickle coated and I think i'm gonna try the POR on that. I painted my engine bay and most of my underbody with the POR15 rust preventative paint and its nice stuff.

cevtv said:
Stainless is not "rust proof". It WILL surface rust. Look at some factory headers........they look like crap, and they are stainless............
I didn't know factory headers were stainless? I'm not saying one way or another, but mine on my LX do look like crap.

When researching this topic a bit, I found this:

from http://www.ssina.com/faq.htm
3. Can stainless steel rust? Why? (I thought stainless did not rust!)

Answer: Stainless does not "rust" as you think of regular steel rusting with a red oxide on the surface that flakes off. If you see red rust it is probably due to some iron particles that have contaminated the surface of the stainless steel and it is these iron particles that are rusting. Look at the source of the rusting and see if you can remove it from the surface. If the iron is embedded in the surface, you can try a solution of 10% nitric and 2% hydrofluoric acid at room temperature or slightly heated. Wash area well with lots and lots of water after use. Commercially available "pickling paste" can also be used. See "The Care and Cleaning of Stainless Steel" for more information.

89MustangGX said:
If that's the case, I certainly stand corrected. Regardless, I've never had either of the two JetHot coated sets of headers I've used so much as discolor, let alone flake off and start rusting! :nice:

Mine either..... The finish has sort of dulled a tiny bit, but no other changes....this is after going through winter driving with tons of road salt, too.

cevtv said:
Mine either..... The finish has sort of dulled a tiny bit, but no other changes....this is after going through winter driving with tons of road salt, too.
You know that the finish can be polished. You can use Mothers polish and polish them right up again. :nice:

JFYI.