What Headers with Unisteer R&P?

gbarber

Jan 26, 2004
delaware, ohio
I want to see what headers you Unisteer users are running. I have had the Unisteer R&P in my '66 for about a year and I currently have some long tube headers (I think Headman), but I was wondering if anyone was running short tube headers or long tube headers that needed no modifications. I had to re-locate one of the header tubes to make Unisteer work, and my welding patchwork, although functional, isn't too pleasing to the eye. For the $600 I spent, I have no complaints about the product. Great upgrade. I am in the market for new exhaust, and I was wondering what others have done. I know Unisteer says they used Hooker Headers with no mods, but I was considering shorty headers.

• Sponsors (?)

I've got JBA shorties in my '65 (see sig), but they required the double-joint setup on my Unisteer R&P to get the shaft around them. It works well - no complaints - but the extra setup during installation was a minor hassle.

That's what I was afraid of. I am doing an engine swap in the near future, and I wanted to re-do the exhaust at that time. I was thinking of running shorty headers, but I don't want to do a bunch of modifications to the headers to make them work. Thanks for your reply.

I swapped back my Unisteer manual R&P, & bought the new power version. After a year of driving the R&P, JBA's I'd had for 3 years were still on the shelf & loss of turning radius was beginning to become inconvenient at times. The new Unisteer Power R&P is a compleatly different design, simular to a Randals. The turning radius lost on the manual install is now back to a stock radius. The JBA's are on,(plenty of room for long tubes) And the more I drive the power rack the more I like it. 2.4 turns lock to lock, took a few miles to adjust to. Strreing isnt darty, just quicker. Kinda like adjusting from manual brakes to power brakes.
Unisteer is currently taking trade ins of the old manual design, tward the new power version. Contact Brian at Unisteer 1-800-338-9080 ext 37.

HELP!! I am just trying to install the Unisteer manual R & P steering in my 66. Just got a set of Hedman Elite shorties (thought they might work)...... nope.... the shaft will run right through the center of the main exhaust. Anybody out there got some pictures of the double shaft, (using what I would call a center bearing support)??

I looked at a 65 mustang the other day with tri Y's.... looked like they MAY work........anybody out there try these with the Unisteer? How about the long tube Hedman Elites??

66 coupe, 289, c4