What intake for 351W?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dang man its been a while since i looked at those intakes i forgot how expensive they were.i guess thats the reason i got my trick flow intake instead.

i'm looking forward to seeing your progress thread it'll give me a a good look at the actual technical side of putting the motor in the car instead of the build of the motor itself. like i said i've been on this build for bout 2 years and i'm still doin research for it.

you've probably already thought about these things but remember the oil pan and dizzy. also i've noticed that some people have modified their h-pipe to make it work with 302 headers on a 351w but it may be better to just bite the bullet and buy the swap headers. i've seen the hooker cobra r headers(that i bought off pokageek:nice:) go up to 650 at the wheels on a blown 408w. so that may be a better option for something that should last you for a while if thats the direction your thinking about goin.

have fun, dont give up, and take alot of pictures

• Sponsors (?)

well, when this motor starts making real power, I'll probably end up getting long tubes for it anyway, which will require a new H pipe, so if I modify this one it'll still be ok for the little power I'll be making.

I got someone working on getting a set for me right now. Like I already said, 302 power is ok for me right now, I just want the motor in the car. All the possibilies for the 351 will still be there, they aren't going anywhere.

"OMG! I installed my 351 without spending 10 grand on it! It's the end of the damn world, now I'll never be cool like all the rich guys, my car will be doomed and ricers will beat me till the end of time!!!"

I got someone working on getting a set for me right now. Like I already said, 302 power is ok for me right now, I just want the motor in the car. All the possibilies for the 351 will still be there, they aren't going anywhere.

"OMG! I installed my 351 without spending 10 grand on it! It's the end of the damn world, now I'll never be cool like all the rich guys, my car will be doomed and ricers will beat me till the end of time!!!"

Whats the point in getting the 351 in the car now when you plan to take it out later to build it? Put the 351 on an engine stand and build it as you get money. In the mean time get a 302 and put it in your car and drive it the way it is.

Let's play true or false:

A 351 block is stronger than a 302... T or F

In a boosted application, a 351's extra strength is a good thing.. T or F

It will hurt my car to install a 351 only making 302 power... T or F

I will have to spend money twice on all the fitment mods when I build a serious 351.. T or F

DING DING DING!!!!

We have figured out why he is in such a hurry to get the motor in the car...

it just sounds cool when you tell people "it's gotta 351W mang!" :rlaugh:

So when this is all said and done he is going to have a 280rwhp 351W Mustang and he is going to tell everyone "Its gotta 351W mang!" and they are going to follow up with "Whys it so slow mang?"

I may be coming off as an ******* (I usually do) but I'm just keeping up with this because I don't want to see you spend your money twice or three times. Its so much better to do it right the first time and save yourself headache and money at the same time. Good things are worth waiting for. I can assure you once you get this 351W in your car it will be slower than the same parts on a 302 and you will be unhappy. Take the 351 apart and put it to the side. Figure out what you want out of it, how to get it there, what parts YOU want to use to get it there, and then buy them piece by piece.

Let's play true or false:

A 351 block is stronger than a 302... T or F

In a boosted application, a 351's extra strength is a good thing.. T or F

It will hurt my car to install a 351 only making 302 power... T or F

I will have to spend money twice on all the fitment mods when I build a serious 351.. T or F

You are already bitching because you do not have money to buy a good intake so you are buying not just a bad, but the WORST aftermarket intake out there for a 302 and you are going to put this ****ty intake on a 351 and then later buy another intake for it instead of buying a good one to start with. You are also bitching because you do not have money to buy a set of $400 longtube headers for the car so you are probably going to get some used 1 5/8" shorty headers and then buy the correct longtubes later. So just there you have spent an easy $500 (assuming you get great deals on used parts) that you could have saved and used towards pistons/rods/crank.

Face it, if you cannot afford a set of longtubes or a good intake you can never.....ever.....EVER afford to buy a turbo/supercharger kit and/or stroke your motor. And if you do get to where you can afford it you will end up costing yourself even more headache and heartache because you will skimp on parts that you shouldn't and you will end up blowing up the motor or something will come apart. Do you know how much a forged stroker crank cost? Hell do you know how much a turbo kit that will make big power cost?

So now that hopefully I have you back at reality how do you figure you will afford any of this when you are buying the same parts twice just because you wanna be cool and say your car has a 351? I mean I am assuming you want a fast car down the road since you are talking about block strength. Have you even owned a fast car? Do you understand how much it cost to make a car fast? Above I'm just talking about the motor. Then you have to upgrade your fuel system...then you have to get an aftermarket transmission....the list just keeps going. Don't waste your money kid, you are going to need it.

Ok, let's add something else in the mix. I may have to move suddenly in the near future for business purposes. If I move, there is no way I can carry all this stuff with me. So I have to get the motor in my car, sell off everything I have leftover and get ready to move. It could be a month, could be a few months. But it would suck to have to leave my 351 sitting on a stand in the shop because I can't get it moved.

At least if it's in the car and running it can go with me where I go, and chances are good when I move I won't have the facility to do engine swaps and builds, but tearing the top of the motor off and replacing it with good heads and intake/cam while still in the car is a weekend chore that can be done pretty much anywhere (friends, family, etc.)

You are already bitching because you do not have money to buy a good intake so you are buying not just a bad, but the WORST aftermarket intake out there for a 302 and you are going to put this ****ty intake on a 351 and then later buy another intake for it instead of buying a good one to start with. You are also bitching because you do not have money to buy a set of $400 longtube headers for the car so you are probably going to get some used 1 5/8" shorty headers and then buy the correct longtubes later. So just there you have spent an easy $500 (assuming you get great deals on used parts) that you could have saved and used towards pistons/rods/crank.

Face it, if you cannot afford a set of longtubes or a good intake you can never.....ever.....EVER afford to buy a turbo/supercharger kit and/or stroke your motor. And if you do get to where you can afford it you will end up costing yourself even more headache and heartache because you will skimp on parts that you shouldn't and you will end up blowing up the motor or something will come apart. Do you know how much a forged stroker crank cost? Hell do you know how much a turbo kit that will make big power cost?

Yadda, yadda.... Yes, I know what "kits" cost, however, in this day and age building your own kit isn't that difficult. And a turbo might be exactly what I'm going for, so ponying up big cash for headers right now would be a waste in that case.

Also, there are plenty of folks out there who are doing the same thing or planning their budget build, so when I do get the "good" parts for my car, I'm more than sure I'll be able to sell off these parts and make some of my cash back from them.

Feel free to mail me a check for 5000.00 in US funds and I'll buy all the parts you have suggested and more. Until then, :Zip2:

Ok, let's add something else in the mix. I may have to move suddenly in the near future for business purposes. If I move, there is no way I can carry all this stuff with me. So I have to get the motor in my car, sell off everything I have leftover and get ready to move. It could be a month, could be a few months. But it would suck to have to leave my 351 sitting on a stand in the shop because I can't get it moved.

At least if it's in the car and running it can go with me where I go, and chances are good when I move I won't have the facility to do engine swaps and builds, but tearing the top of the motor off and replacing it with good heads and intake/cam while still in the car is a weekend chore that can be done pretty much anywhere (friends, family, etc.)

Are you serious? Really? I had my motor on the engine stand IN MY ROOM

motor2.jpg

Wheeled it out of my room not once but 3 times by myself, put it in the back of the trick by myself, and took it to the machine shop once and back by myself. You are simply looking for excuses to do this. I'd really like to know what the truth is as to why you are in such a hurry to get this magical motor in your car.

Yadda, yadda.... Yes, I know what "kits" cost, however, in this day and age building your own kit isn't that difficult. And a turbo might be exactly what I'm going for, so ponying up big cash for headers right now would be a waste in that case.

Also, there are plenty of folks out there who are doing the same thing or planning their budget build, so when I do get the "good" parts for my car, I'm more than sure I'll be able to sell off these parts and make some of my cash back from them.

Feel free to mail me a check for 5000.00 in US funds and I'll buy all the parts you have suggested and more. Until then, :Zip2:

You really sound like you could build a nice turbo kit that will make alot of power. :rolleyes:

And $5,000 wouldn't buy you all the parts. Thats your problem, you are in lala land and have no grasp of reality.

That is a pretty cool site actually, my wife would kill me, but it'd be cool. It would never make it into my car in that case because it would look too nice in my living room!

The real reason, I'm a very IMPATIENT person, and I usually pay the price for my impatience. but I honestly believe I'll be ok this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.