what is biggest check you ever wrote?

Are you kidding, with the way houses are selling in markets like yours (5 offers instantly) they are doing nothing for $40k.

Your state (or is it DC) must have an entirely different tax structure. Where I live, that kind of house would be hit with $16,000 real estate tax. (in NY it would be double or triple that) Real estate is one f'ed up market lately.

• Sponsors (?)

GRGT1994 said:
Are you kidding, with the way houses are selling in markets like yours (5 offers instantly) they are doing nothing for $40k.

Your state (or is it DC) must have an entirely different tax structure. Where I live, that kind of house would be hit with $16,000 real estate tax. (in NY it would be double or triple that) Real estate is one f'ed up market lately.
yeah, there can easily be 5 offers in one day, some of them with escalation clauses going $50,000 over the asking price. one house in our neighborhood sold for $115,000 more than the asking price. it's unbelievably crazy.

i have no idea why this area is so "desirable" ... must be the schools, the proximity to dc, and the low crime rate. whatever it is, it sucks for me.

i'm in bethesda, maryland. the $6,000 i was referring to was the annual property tax. are you talking about the annual property tax?

BlackVert said:
yeah, there can easily be 5 offers in one day, some of them with escalation clauses going $50,000 over the asking price. one house in our neighborhood sold for $115,000 more than the asking price. it's unbelievably crazy.

i have no idea why this area is so "desirable" ... must be the schools, the proximity to dc, and the low crime rate. whatever it is, it sucks for me.

i'm in bethesda, maryland. the $6,000 i was referring to was the annual property tax. are you talking about the annual property tax?

Yeah this market sucks unless you are selling. I have been looking for a house since Feb. I bid on one, that same day 3 other people did too. The one that got it bid 5k more then aking price and paid in cash. All this for a measly 3bdr 2bth 2 car garage, unfinished basement and an acre of ground.

I wish the market would swing, If we don't find a house soon my wife is going to drive me insane.

It's probably bad math to give specific amounts of money that we've spent in the forums.

Not suggesting that anyones up to no good, but these identity theft guys are just waiting for someone to spill the beans on how much money we are all spending. :fuss:

A better thread would probably be "what did you buy that was the most expensive purchase?" or something along these lines, without defining dollars.

I almost responded to this thread, but then I thought twice and decided that it was probably best not to disclose specific amounts.

No question that getting married cost me the most money ever.

By the way.... I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geico. Seriously!!! :D

fushnicken said:
No question that getting married cost me the most money ever.

I would have agreed with you last year, but this year I ponied up quite a bit more for my first year of medical school tuition.

And while it's not as much as BlackVert just laid down for his house, it's definitely in the same ballpark, and I don't make six figures annually.

God bless federally subsidized student loans. :flag:

bayellowstang said:
I wish the market would swing, If we don't find a house soon my wife is going to drive me insane.

i with you on that one man. NJ real estate market blows. they want like 325-350K for a **** hole that needs work, in a halfway decent area. not all at. with like 6K for property taxes a year. and then you have scum bag mortage broker wth their famous line. "we can get you an affordable mortgage, no problems" ****ers turn around and act like they're doing me a favor with 10-12% intrest on the loan. trust me a hand full of these brokers have seen my new jersey one finger salute, and me walk out the door. mind you this is for northern NJ not southern where it's a cheaper. but then you have to sit in 3 hours worth of traffic to get up north to go to work. no thank you.

and when the market does turn, i hope it falls on its f u c k i n g face.

jasonlee0704 said:
I would have agreed with you last year, but this year I ponied up quite a bit more for my first year of medical school tuition.

And while it's not as much as BlackVert just laid down for his house, it's definitely in the same ballpark, and I don't make six figures annually.

God bless federally subsidized student loans. :flag:
after medical school, the pay should increase dramatically!

BlackVert said:
if we get the bid, it will be somewhere between 875K and 920K.

we are selling ours for 800K and our inlaws are selling theirs for 700K and we are going in together on this one. my inlaws are elderly and they can't keep up a house by themselves anymore. they need 300K cash to live off of and i need 250K to pay off my current mortgage. if all goes according to plan, my new mortgage will be less than 100K.

my (the buyer's) fees to close on this house will be about 25K. then there are capital gains from selling the current house, transfer fees, ... it's crazy how much of your hard earned money people take when you sell or buy a house.

just the realtor's fees to sell our house will be about 40K and 35K for my in-law's house! :bang: they take that off the top. :nonono:

Very nice place, hope you get it.

Exactly why I'm getting liscened in Northern Virginia in real estate. Potential to make 20 X as much with the degree I'm getting - oh the irony.

Same here...Just passed my preliminary real estate test in CA...Housing prices are exploding here as well...I am doing loans and also want to sell houses so I can make money off the front and back end. With the fed raising the interest rate housing prices will soon decline...probably not for a while...but with the economy the way that it is...and gas prices...Something has got to give! the 5HIT is gonna hit the fan and the US economy is going to either collapse or inflation is going to be like the Depression. I'm scared!