What is really the best step in power gain??

cantbuytime

Jan 26, 2010
Ok all.. This car is seriously lacking in the power department.My old ride was a 700HP daily driver, maybe thats why this just isnt cutting it.. I was going to build a 347 but Its looking like the I should just hault on the 347 and go for a 351 build.. I really want 400hp or more out of this car hitting the pavement..

While I build the replacement engine, I was contemplating a supercharger for now... I see some u guys just went 347 and are keeping your fingers crossed you dont split the block.. I dont want that worry..:notnice:

i also see some of you are getting 300+ with boltons and a supercharger.. This would probably tide me by till the my motor build is planned and finished..

i know she aint got a blue oval but here is my last build..
1988 chevy c1500 ,502ci, 706hp 747tq, with a 5 speed and 3:73
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVp4yLHxoaI

then this video
View attachment 228571

• Sponsors (?)

If your going to buy a supercharger get a big enough one so that it will not have to be upgraded to go on the 351. A novi 2000 would probably be good for such a setup.

A s trim is a good supercharger but will be slightly more limited if you go for big power on a 351+ sized engine.

I really want 400hp or more out of this car hitting the pavement..

The general rule of thumb is 450 for the OEM block so that is within
your goal :)

While I build the replacement engine, I was contemplating a supercharger for now... I see some u guys just went 347 and are keeping your fingers crossed you dont split the block.. I dont want that worry..:notnice:

If you go 347 and stay NA then you sholuld not have any block splitting
issues with the OEM block :spot:

i also see some of you are getting 300+ with boltons and a supercharger.. This would probably tide me by till the my motor build is planned and finished..

Sure this is doable as many have done it :nice:

I honestly don't have any issues with the OEM block :nono:
but
I do feel I look realistically at its limits :)

If you want more than those limits with the OEM block :shrug:

It ain't rocket science ... You just have to spend more for a better sb :Word:

Grady

I have been told that you can run a Victor Jr carb intake with a throttle body adapter tube from edelbrock.. And that will flow better then the trick flow, or other aftermarket 5.0 dual intakes..??????????????? I guess you would need custom fuel rails too?????

I got a set of gt40 heads today for free and already have a fresh 302 block, thinking about just redoing the heads and throwing them on the fresh mild sb. then putting together a supercharger kit>

i want to take my time and build the 351, gotta find one out of a explorer to start with..

i am sorry, didnt mean to confuse the explorer 302 with the 351...

I dont have to have 500hp but it would be nice.. either way, rather it be a 351 or a mild 302/347.. i really want 400+hp with a supercharger.. So boosting a 347 to over 400hp is living in the danger zone eh?:shrug:

That just sucks.. I understand that with either build pretty much the whole topend is goin to be replaced.. But price wise the 351 is about 2000 or more then the 347 build.

Honestly for now I am probably goin the gt40p heads ported, Intake(not sure), stock cam(maybe a alphabet cam), stock block and bottom end, injectors , tb, fuel pump, regulator and a supercharger.. Hopefully that will get me to the mid or late 300hp range.. and satisfy my thirst..

I got a buddy naggin me to do the 347 build and super it but man, all this talk of block splitting has me nervous about that.. His 347 only lasted about 3 months and he broke two mains with 6psi of boost. Between us I think he juiced it trying for 10's.. I see a new hole drilled in his cold air and a braided line running to his trunk from the engine compartment not hooked up to anything.... LOL

soo is anyone running the carb style intakes for efi with the Throttle body adapter?? i would much rather have that intake setup if it flows better.. I know it makes under the hood look sexy!!

dished pistons - 8.5 to 1 compression
twisted wedge heads
custom cam
victor 5.0 EFI intake
42 pound injectors
255 intank, 190 inline
90mm LMAF
70-75mm TB
70mm turbo / Vortec S trim

Will get you 450 rwhp all day on a safe tune and 6000 rpm shift point... its fun to spend someone else's money.

Adam

I have been told that you can run a Victor Jr carb intake with a throttle body adapter tube from edelbrock.. And that will flow better then the trick flow, or other aftermarket 5.0 dual intakes..??????????????? I guess you would need custom fuel rails too?????

I got a set of gt40 heads today for free and already have a fresh 302 block, thinking about just redoing the heads and throwing them on the fresh mild sb. then putting together a supercharger kit>

i want to take my time and build the 351, gotta find one out of a explorer to start with..

If you are talking about the elbow :shrug:

Edelbrock is more restrictive than the TFS

I would go with the TFS :nice:

Grady