what is the best clutch

• Sponsors (?)

Most people don't care for Spec Stage 1's, personally I have never tried one. Most people at this level of clutch performance go for the King Cobra, great price on it as well. Personally I am thinking of going Centerforce Dual Friction just to get a little lighter clutch this time around, don't get me wrong my last two clutches have been King Cobras and they have held everything I have thrown at them, I am just ready to try something a little more civil.

I have had great sucsess so far with a centerforce II clutch. Same stock pedal feel but it holds a lot more power, expecialy when the rpm's climb. It also depends what kinda of clutch you want to go with and how much your willing to spend. I would recomend doing research on all your parts you get, thats what I usualy do. :D

ive got a spec stage 1 in mine, its great if you dont daily drive. its very stiff and VERY grabby, there is no slip whatsoever, so it gets a little irritating if you drive it through a lot of traffic lights. havent taken it to the track yet, but the few practice launches ive done on the street seem like it will be good there.

that being said, next clutch i get will probably be a king cobra or something of that nature.

king cobras work great. mines seen dozens of 5k+ clutch drops at the track and it works fine still.

you dont want to get a clutch too stiff for your combo. if something breaks i'd rather it be a clutch than shelling a transmission

i have a KC clutch in mine. it has a hard driven 30k miles on it and still holds fine. it has seen many trips to the track and plenty of 5k launches on the backroads, yet its still good enough for me drive every day. a little stiffer than stock but not enough to cramp your leg.

King Cobra gets my vote. Been beating on mine moderately for about 2 years, now, and never had a single problem out of it at all. :nice:

Plus, you can't beat the price on them, compared to other clutches like Centerforce. Sure, the pedal's a tad stiffer than stock, but c'mon ... man up and grow a little bit of left-leg muscle. Chicks dig a dude with one leg bigger than the other ... just not when you've got one ARM bigger than the other. :D

I've driven both the KC and my Spec Stage II...and i will be honest with you the spec is a better clutch. Like everyone says the KC has a hard pedal as does the spec...but the KC has a very sloppy and large engagement point. The spec clutch is extremely precise...almost hydraulic in feel and it grips like crazy. Personally i like a precise clutch and in no way do i find it difficult to drive in traffic. I think if you go with either the spec I, KC, or the DF you will be happy. They are all worlds better than the sloppy stocker!

i have a kc and i love it. I love for my clutches to have a little bit of weight and 'push' back against my foot. After getting outa my car i hate driving any other 5spd's because their cluches feel sloppy and mushy

yea i know the feeling all too well. i got out of my car and jumped in my buddies honda and tries to put the clutch pedal through the floor...........oops:rlaugh:

whats up everyone. I'm new to this site. I just purchaced a 1993 conv. I havnt driven a 5 speed in about 8 years, so Im a little rusty. It has a king cobra cluch and its heavy but I have to go all the way down on the cluch to shift. The owner told me he snapped the original cable and installed a heaver cable. there is an ajustment at the fire wall. What direction do I move it to bring it up?

IMO, the KCs are junk. never driven a car with one that i liked. Theres a LOT of options but it depends on your power level. no sense getting a clutch capable of 500tq when youre making 270. you'll just break everything BUT the clutch.

spec stage 1 is a good, slightly better than stock, replacement clutch.
if you're making stock power, i honestly recommend a zoom clutch from NAPA, unless you're planning mods in the very near future