what is the better tilt column between FR and Ididit?

• Sponsors (?)

I want to upgrade and am looking for recommendations.

On edit: I realize I will prolly need to go with a TCP because I have a TCP rack and pinion.

Not Really! I have a complete TCP suspension and am running a FR column. I went with the FR column as it had the 4w flasher built-in. It just pushed me over the edge.
Good Luck! You have to let TCP tech know you have a FR column which utilizes the dbl. "D" bar shaft.

Good Luck!

I have a chrome flaming river column that i just installed. Works great, no complaints. I used an ididit in a previous vehicle and it was honestly very similar. The FR used a gm style wiring harness for the turn signals etc. It hooked it up no time, but the colors didn't match my harness. Another thing I ran into was my header clearance. I had to use three joints and one of the stabilizers you mount to the frame due to the extra u-joint. It was a royal pain to get all mounted around my headers, but I love the rack and pinion now! Either brand will be fine in my experience.

I have the FR in my car.The first problem i had was that the plastic bushing on the bottom of the column didn't like heat. The plastic would expand and the steering would bind. Second problem was the harness getting pinched inside the column and shorting out . It was caused by the grommet being slightly to thick and not allowing enough clearance between the shaft and housing.

Customer service was very good in resolving the bushing problem,But im not the only one that's had a short in the wiring harness because of it rubbing.
View attachment 210403

I have the FR in my car.The first problem i had was that the plastic bushing on the bottom of the column didn't like heat. The plastic would expand and the steering would bind. Second problem was the harness getting pinched inside the column and shorting out . It was caused by the grommet being slightly to thick and not allowing enough clearance between the shaft and housing.

Customer service was very good in resolving the bushing problem,But im not the only one that's had a short in the wiring harness because of it rubbing.
View attachment 210390

Well, I'll have to chime in with noting I've had none of those issues. My FR has been in use for a couple of years. Go figure!
I guess I installed it mid-week and not a Monday or Friday.
Happy Motoring!

It is done

I went with the Ididit. It had several factors in its favor

1. it is actually cheaper than the FR. $529 for the Ididit from Summit compared to $575 for the FR column and installation kit (OEM wheel). By the way, MDepot sells the FR cheaper than anybody else if you are fixed on the FR.
  2. it has 8 position tilt as opposed to 5 for the FR
  3. It has Ford wiring instead of the FR GM wiring

Also, the tech people at Ididit were off the charts helpful when I called with questions.

I went with the Ididit. It had several factors in its favor

1. it is actually cheaper than the FR. $529 for the Ididit from Summit compared to $575 for the FR column and installation kit (OEM wheel). By the way, MDepot sells the FR cheaper than anybody else if you are fixed on the FR.
  2. it has 8 position tilt as opposed to 5 for the FR
  3. It has Ford wiring instead of the FR GM wiring

Also, the tech people at Ididit were off the charts helpful when I called with questions.

Nice points to make Jerry! I wish I new those differences 4 years ago. I wonder why, they (Ididit) does not have a 4W flasher sw included?
Happy Motoring!

Nice points to make Jerry! I wish I new those differences 4 years ago. I wonder why, they (Ididit) does not have a 4W flasher sw included?
Happy Motoring!

It actually does. From the Ididit website:

1968-69 Mustang column Standard Features :

Self-Canceling Turn Signals
8-Position Tilt
4-Way Flashers
Knobs and Handles
Ford Turn Signal Switch
Ford Top Shaft
Floor Mount included
3/4" 36 Lower Shaft
Collapsible

I was thinking about adding to my 66. Main reason I was considering changing is that I heard the 65/66 shaft was to collapsable and car will be for my daughter. Steering column looks like it relies on mods to existing shaft. Anyone have any experience on using this setup with a collapsable setup.

I may go with the TCP tilt column after all. It is the previous model Ididit column and is 5 positions as opposed to the new 8 position but costs only $445 from TCP compared to $529 for the Ididit from Summit.