what is the biggest tire size I can go on 17X8 rims for the back of GT & LX?

Highbredcloud

Mar 4, 2003
Palos Hills, IL
O.K guys...I plan on getting some drag radials (Nittos) for my GT and my LX...both of the cars have 17X8 rims and I need to know what is the absolutely biggest I can go on the back without using backspacings or without having any rubbing issues...on both of them? BTW: both cars have American thunder exhaust with tail pipes out the back...I am pretty sure I can go wider with the LX since it doesn't have ground effects but I could be wrong...currently my GT is running 255/45/17...can I go bigger without any issues? I also plan on re-using my set of rear tires off my GT onto the fronts of my LX...would 255/45/17 be too much for the front of the LX? :shrug:

EDIT: Can someone tell me how wide of a tire I can go with on the back of a GT and LX without any rubbing issues on a 17X8 rim? I don't want to go smaller than my current tires...I want to know what is the absolute biggest I can go?

Also will 255/45/17 fit on the front of the LX without rubbing issues?

thanks guys...

• Sponsors (?)

Tirerack actually recommends 235/45R17. This is probably because the variations in tire widths (Remember, not all 235 mm tires have the same width) to prevent rubbing on the fenderwells. However, as mentioned before, 245/45R17 is the size you need for speedometer accuracy and all that other stuff. I personally wouldn't go wider then that, if you haven't had rubbing problems, that's probably because your tires are just narrow enough 255 mm tires. Also, I don't believe there is a difference in what size tires you can put on a LX and GT.

Depends on the wheels- backspacing, axles, if the car is lowered, and the YEAR of your stang, etc. 245/45/17's are the correct tires! Some people can squeeze 275's. But, it also depends if you roll the fender lips and all of the stuff I just said. With my car, the 245's barely fit.

Both of my cars are 91...How could the 245/45/17 be the correct tires if right now I am running 255/45/17 on my GT in the back and I have no issues? I just want to know what is the absolute biggest I can go with tire wise and not have any issues...not what the correct tire size should be...I have seen a lot of people run wider tires in the back...just want to get some input from those who run bigger than 255/45/17 in the back without using backspacings or having any rubbing issues...There has got to be someone out there that has a stang with bigger tires in the back...Anyone with experience with drag radials espcially Nittos out there...

I've got 275 40 17 nitto dr's out back on 8" wide rims. I have no rubbing issues whatsoever. She's not lowered though, so that may have something to do with it. I didnt have roll my fender lips, I did not even have to flip my quad shocks (although it's damn close). My exhaust is extremley close as well, and I had to adjust the tailpipes accordingly.

millhouse said:
I've got 275 40 17 nitto dr's out back on 8" wide rims. I have no rubbing issues whatsoever. She's not lowered though, so that may have something to do with it. I didnt have roll my fender lips, I did not even have to flip my quad shocks (although it's damn close). My exhaust is extremley close as well, and I had to adjust the tailpipes accordingly.

Thank you millhouse...my cars arn't lowered either...would you say I can safely go with Nitto 265's though?

Highbredcloud said:
Thank you millhouse...my cars arn't lowered either...would you say I can safely go with Nitto 265's though?

I dont believe nitto makes a 265mm width tire. If your not lowered, the only problems you might encounter are your tailpipes and quad shocks. The quad shocks can easily be flipped to alievate the problem. Your tailpipes might need to be adjusted, so the question is, are they welded to the mufflers? If not you should be all set.

ive heard that on a GT its harder to fit a 275 in the back...not 100% sure, but i know people are here are running them and i know ssome people personally that had to bang in teh fenders. it seems to be a fluke thing, for some people it rubs, for others it doesnt.

Here is my flat out answer: The BIGGEST you can go without having ANY issues i would say is 255-265. THE ABSOLUTE biggest you can go, even with modding stuff in the wheel well, would be a 275. its plenty big, no need to go bigger.

And finally, if your looking for a different/meaner look, yeah they will be a tad bigger but its not gonna be extremely noticable, and it is correct what was said above, some companies tires are wider than others with the same rating. heres the difference in a 255 and a 275. |...................| <---- 20mm

Black331 Stang...I have heard the same thing in regards to the GT and fitment issues since that could be due to the rear bumper being lower...I definately don't want to go smaller than the tire size I have on there now...

Millhouse: I hope Nitto makes 265...if not I will have to get some 255's...My car is not lowered and the exhaust is not welded to the tail pipes so in terms of adjusting should be easier I guess...thanks for the info...BTW: I may consider 275's on my LX since it should be the same as your coupe...I just like the bigger meaner look on the LX/coupes...

Highbredcloud said:
Both of my cars are 91...How could the 245/45/17 be the correct tires if right now I am running 255/45/17 on my GT in the back and I have no issues?

By "right", I mean the correct tire diameter. Your spedo will be off otherwise. I have a windows tire diameter program on my brake page. You need the VBrun dlls to use it. Most people should have them already. I just never bothered to make a self install version.

You'll also effect the stance/handling of the car with the "wrong" diameter tires.