What is the correct name for this part?

92greenlx

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2002
Ca
I am talking about the cylinder looking thing on the side of the throttle body. It has the black plug on the bottom of it. What is the correct name of it so I can ask for it at the parts store? I am wondering if it went bad on me because when I unplug it while the car is running, nothing happens.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

92greenlx said:
I am talking about the cylinder looking thing on the side of the throttle body. It has the black plug on the bottom of it. What is the correct name of it so I can ask for it at the parts store? I am wondering if it went bad on me because when I unplug it while the car is running, nothing happens.

Thanks!

Is this the only reason you want to replace it?? If Im right when you set base idle the car should be warm and you unplug the IAC to set the idle. At that point the IAC shouldnt do anything when you unplug it. I could be wrong but thats how I set my idle. Does the car run bad?? Does it hunt for idle?? I would only change parts that are known defective. These sensors can get expensive, no reason to just throw money away.

Don't go throwing parts at your car, too expensive.

It is the Idle Air Controll what your talking about. Often called the idle speed motor, idle air bypass, ect. It's good your looking for the correct name, I get so tired of people with their pet names of every part of the car, and they name things in reference with non-automotive items that they are more familiar with, and when you don't know what they are, they look at you like your the one that doesn't know something. Dizzy, pumpkin, salt and pepper shakers, dogbone, ect...

OK.......here's what's going on with my car.

My car runs rough, hesitates, sputters, and feels as if there is a mis-spark. So, I install a new cap/rotor, new plug wires and nothing happens. So I then install both a new Temp Sensor and Temp sending unit. Still nothing happens. So, I then unplug my Pro-M mass air meter while the car is running and nothing happens. So then I think I have found my problem. I then buy a new C&L mass air meter and install it. I then run codes and the codes come up with the Idle Air Control and the O2 Sensors. So, I change out the Idle Air Control which is located on the passenger side of the car near the fuel rail (please let meknow if I changed out the right one). So I am wondering if I need to change out the one on the Throttle Body? Also, the O2 Sensors are not that old. But maybe I do need to change those out again? So with the help of a local mechanic, I found out that the O2 sensor on the driver side is running lean and the passenger side is running fine. I do have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator installed as well. So, after installing those new parts, my car now idles better. That is it. I forgot to mention that when the vehicle reaches normal operating tempature, the check engine light comes on and the problem gets worse!

92greenlx said:
OK.......here's what's going on with my car.

My car runs rough, hesitates, sputters, and feels as if there is a mis-spark. So, I install a new cap/rotor, new plug wires and nothing happens. So I then install both a new Temp Sensor and Temp sending unit. Still nothing happens. So, I then unplug my Pro-M mass air meter while the car is running and nothing happens. So then I think I have found my problem. I then buy a new C&L mass air meter and install it. I then run codes and the codes come up with the Idle Air Control and the O2 Sensors. So, I change out the Idle Air Control which is located on the passenger side of the car near the fuel rail (please let meknow if I changed out the right one). So I am wondering if I need to change out the one on the Throttle Body? Also, the O2 Sensors are not that old. But maybe I do need to change those out again? So with the help of a local mechanic, I found out that the O2 sensor on the driver side is running lean and the passenger side is running fine. I do have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator installed as well. So, after installing those new parts, my car now idles better. That is it. I forgot to mention that when the vehicle reaches normal operating tempature, the check engine light comes on and the problem gets worse!

vacuum leak, bad coil, IAC motor (attached to throttle body)...try cleaning the IAC first with some carb cleaner.