what is the ideal engine temperature?

oldfox

Feb 19, 2009
I'm running a 5.0 with a carburetor and I'm trying to figure out where I want the engine temperature at. I have a nice big aluminum radiator so that should
give me ability to stay cool. I was thinking of running a 180 thermostat and
a fan switch that comes on at 200 and off at 185 does this sound about right?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds good especially if you have cast iron heads. If you have aluminium heads, it's better to allow the engine to run about 10*F hotter for better combustion efficiency.

Assuming you're talking about using a balanced t-stat, I agree that it sounds good. You could lower the on/off spread to about 10* if you desire (on at 200, off at 190, for instance).

Sorry to highjack, but thread made me think of it

I have a 180* thermostat and my car runs under 190 all day (Autometer Mech gauge). Would it be more efficient if I switched back to the stock 192* t-stat? I thought with iron heads the ideal operating range was 195-210...

I have replaced my t-stat and water pump and I'm still over heating! I'm going to flush my system, but does anyone have any ideas for me?

It's probably best to start your own thread so this doesn't get confusing. You'll want to note when it overheats (at speed, in town, etc), how it overheats, what's been done, etc.