What is the normal operating temperature and oil pressure?

• Sponsors (?)

My car runs around 50-55 psi when warm ... which I believe is normal. Some even say 40 psi is okay.

I run between 205 & 210*. I have no idea if thats the norm .... but I don't like it. I need to get a Fluidyne.

Yep. For OP, anything above 20 PSI at hot idle is alright.

For water temps, remembering that low speed comes on at 208*F helps.

If you control the fans with another controller (or otherwise), running within 10*F (higher) than your stat rating is excellent.

Ok, well my temp is around 210 and my PSI is right under 25 at a hot idle, and it goes up to about 50 when I floor it. So Im guessing they are pretty accurate.

I have the autometer lunar gauges and the oil pressure reads 25lbs at hot idle (rule of thumb 10psi per 1000rpm) 50lbs at startup and I run Mobil 1 synthetic. Now for some reason I kind of remember the oil pressure being a tad higher with conventional oil - but could be a bad memory.

My temperature gauge reads at 196* but I've change the fan settings via my TwEECer. It will go up to 210* with the AC on at idle but drops back down when the car is moving.

One thing I noticed is how I was so paranoid about what the car was actually doing (i.e. actual oil pressure, water temperature etc.) so I got the gauges and now that I know what's going it still makes me paranoid at times (i.e. is this right, should it be this psi or that psi, why is it doing this or that):rlaugh: I guess the old saying that too much information can be scary (not exactly how it's been said but you get the drift). Never the less, I'd rather know though.

Peace

95strokerPSU said:
My hot idle is in the 50s. I do have a high volume oil pump, does this sound right?

Uhmm good question but I don't have the answer. :shrug: Do you have an aftermarket 7quart oil pan. I read where with a HV oil pump you need to increase oil capacity because the oil pump may suck the stock pan dry.

Methodical said:
Uhmm good question but I don't have the answer. :shrug: Do you have an aftermarket 7quart oil pan. I read where with a HV oil pump you need to increase oil capacity because the oil pump may suck the stock pan dry.

Yeah I have a 7 quart pan. I asked my engine builder a while ago about it and he said that it was okay. Just thought I'd ask here when I saw this thread.

I have 55-60 oil psi at startup and 50-ish psi at hot idle and 70-ish while at an rpm higher than 2,500-3,000...with a std. vol. oil pump:D Its a fresh motor though.

With the tweecer setup to run the fans with my 180 t-stat the tweecer and auto meter guages read nothing higher than 196 maybe...maybe 198* (sincve I dont have the laptop at work but I honestly dont remember anything over 196) with the stock rad.

Dave, that sounds fine to me - that's a heft of pressure. If your builder wanted that much volume, there's a reason (the mill might have been built a hair loose or something). I wouldnt sweat it in any event.

Methodical said:
Is 60lbs (stock pump limits or something to that affect) the max safe oil pressure you'd want to see?:shrug:
It seems to me that one can go a bit above this - these guys arent that far past the stock bypass.

Much more pressure can cause issues with filters and what-not.