What is the widest Tires that fit Front & back on 88 GT?

I am looking to buy new tires for my 88 GT, I have 17x8 96 cobra wheels. I would like to know what is the widest tire I can fit in the front and in the back. I was thinking 245/45/17 front and 275/40/17 in back. Do you think this would be a good set up?

• Sponsors (?)

I have that setup. My rear tires rub on my quadshocks alot on curves but I will flip them when I get the chance. Tryed doing it myself but the bolts are very tight, I would have to go to a shop. As for the front I have no rubbing and my car is lowered 1.5", this summer I will drop it 2", well see how that goes!.. :D

MUSTANGJOE said:
I have that setup. My rear tires rub on my quadshocks alot on curves but I will flip them when I get the chance. Tryed doing it myself but the bolts are very tight, I would have to go to a shop. As for the front I have no rubbing and my car is lowered 1.5", this summer I will drop it 2", well see how that goes!.. :D

His car is an 88, and yours is a 92. In 90 or 91 Ford made the wells larger in the rear to make the Pony's fit.

MustangJoe's car is rubbing on the quads in a 92. You may be around the 255 range for the rear. I believe up front it is 235/45/17 will work, I've seen people have to cut the GT effects for 245s. The cutting is not alot though.

ALMOSTFINISHED said:
I Have 255/40/17's up from and 275/40/17's out back with absolutley no rubbing whatsoever. My car is lowered 1.5 inches also. No problems here

Nick

Thats the size combo I would like to use. Did you do any modifications to make the 255's fit in the front? What brand make and model Tires do you use? Could you post some pics of your car? Thanks

I have bbk lowering springs, (specific rate) it lowered it 1.5 inches, i have kyb shocks and struts all around, (doesnt help ride height but just wanted to inform you of my suspension). They are 17x8 chrome cobra wheels for front and 17x9 for rear from afs wheels. I have the kumho ecsta 712's both front and rear. the fronts are 255/40/17 and rear are 275/40/17. I dont have any close up pics of my car but i will try and get some tomorrow for you. I have to put one side of rims back on, (have the stockers on for winter). Other than the lowering springs and shocks/struts i did no other tweaking of the suspension. shoot me an email so i can send you some pics of it if you'd like :nice: I personally think the 255's fit perfectly on the rim and fender gap combo, i think it looks badass. the rear to me is my favorite, nice and wide :nice: :rlaugh: hope i can help some

Nick
[email protected]

I dont have 17's but i'm running pony rims which we all know are 16's. And i'm running Fulda Extremo 255/50R16 on all four corners. I had to trim just a tad off the front fender extension and i rub just a little bit when turning the wheel lock to lock, in the back i dont rub at all.

i have 17x8's with 235-45-17's in the front and 255-40-17 in the rear. the tires fit nicely and it looks perfect. I think a 275 is too big for a 8" wide wheel. I am sure it will fit but its useless. Hell my 255 already bulges couldn't imagine a 275 on there
253339_262_full.jpg

253339_259_full.jpg

i have 17x9's all the way around, i used to have 275's on the back and 245's on the front, the 275's fit fine from what i remember. Now i have 245's all the way around, the front tires do rub on the control arm as does the wheel but as long as you remember not to turn to sharp youll be ok, oh and my car is lowered an inch and a half.

I guess there are two options you can do here.
1. Take what you have from this thread and the site and buy the tires.
2. Take your car down to a tireshop and try out different sized tires on your car. It shouldn't cost much more to see if the tire will fit or not.

I would go with #2, because I was in your place a few months ago. I was going to buy some 17x8 and 17x9 Cobra Rs for my car. Since they were chrome, I wasn't going to try and put the tire on the rim at my house, because I would scratch the rim. So I was going to ask the shop if I could try different sized tires in the rear of my car to see if they would work. I'm sure the shop wouldn't have a problem with it.