Electrical What Is This,and What Is It For?

mustangbill331

Oct 4, 2014
jersey
friend was helping on my car was working under the dash, left out a green wire clip on one end loop on the other, do I need this? what is it called? what is it for? thanks in advance

Attachments

• wire.png
    wire.png
    268.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok... The text that you entered in this post: Please redo the first portion because I don't understand your description. The more detail you include, the better the chance we can help you figure it out. In other words: Tell the whole story. I'm a fairly simple individual. :D I like great pictures and a good story. :)

Whatever that cord is, someone made it to extend a harness connection. Can you post up a good shot of the pins inside of the plug? That should help figure out just what it is that they were trying to extend.

It looks like a loop back for an O2 harness. What doesn't make sense to me is why it would be under the dash. Check that harness over good. See if it has any resistors (at least one) inline with the wiring.

ok... the text that you entered in this post, please redo the first portion because I don't understand your description, the more detail you include, the better the chance we can help you figure it out, in other words tell the whole story. i'm a fairly simple individual, :Di like great pictures and a good story. :)whatever that cord is, someone made it to extend a harness connection, can you post up a good shot of the pins inside of the plug, that should help figure out just what it is that they were trying to extend. it looks like a loop back for an O2 harness, what doesn't make sense to me is why it would be under the dash, check that harness over good, see if it has any resistors (at least one) inline with the wiring.

I fixed your reply so OP could understand it better. LOL

Nobody "made" it..it came that way..it's not extended to anything, it was clipped in and the other end is looped there for probably wasn't doing anything, it has to prongs inside, took a pic but didn't come out good..on the clip it says p.e.d pack con 2... and @Onefine88 who the ×××× you calling op?

You... You are the OP (Original Poster).

As for the wire... It didn't just "come that way" from the factory. I'm trying to figure out what it was created for. Whoever had the car before you made this thing for something. Initially, I thought it was a connector for an o2 sensor. Now I'm not so sure.

Can you tell me of that splice (looks like a barrel connector in the first pic) s actually a resistor?

If it is in fact a resistor, then someone before you likely eliminated the o2 sensors and fooled the EEC into thinking that they were there.

Does your car have two o2 sensors installed and are they attached to the EEC harness?

Oh ok, though the guy was trying to get smart..new to the whole forum thing...anyways the car had 02sensors but installed a turbo now no 02's, the wire was connected to a female connecter up under the dash above the steering column

Oh ok, though the guy was trying to get smart..new to the whole forum thing...anyways the car had 02sensors but installed a turbo now no 02's, the wire was connected to a female connecter up under the dash above the steering column

I'm still only speculating based on what's in this thread so far but that home-made loop was likely tossed in there to fake the EEC into thinking that o2 sensors are installed.

If it were mine.... I'd put o2 sensors back in the car and get the tune looked at.

There is no simple way to bypass the O2 sensors, and all the wiring is on the passenger side of the car.
What side of the dash are you taking about - driver side or passenger side?

Due to the poor quality of the photo, it is hard to tell what color the stripe is. Please look again and confirm the wire and stripe colors at the connector itself.

O2 sensor wire colors:
87-90 5.0 Mustangs:
Computer pin 43 Dark blue/Lt green – LH O2 sensor
Computer pin 29 Dark Green/Pink – RH O2 sensor

O2 sensor wire colors:
91-93 5.0 Mustangs:
Computer pin 43 Red/Black – LH O2 sensor
Computer pin 29 Gray/Lt blue – RH O2 sensor

A red/lt blue stripe wire on the driver side of the car is part of the starter interlock that prevents the engine from being cranked unless is in Park or Neutral (auto trans) or the clutch is depressed to the floor(manual trans).

Last edited: