What is this engine

Wildwill532

May 26, 2003
Im about to make a deal on I dont know what, its only a 125.00 or Best offer, its DIVE A2A, or DIVE 6015 A2B, Carb Id tag D6TE , other things i got D3VEA2A, D2VE6053AA , Its got what looks like clevelnad heads so I hope a 351C and if not what is it and is it worth the 125.00 everyhting is there from the 4 barrel carb to oil pan, And i read Windsors have 6 Bolts on valve covers, Clevelands have 8 Well this one had 7 if that hepls?

Now i was looking is it a , 429 CJ , D1VE-A2B. D2VE Heads, D3VE 4BBL manifold with 4BBL carburetor

• Sponsors (?)

Seven bolts on the valve covers make it part of the 429-460 family.The D6TE on the carb places that as a 1976 model carb so that is well after the CJ days.The T in the carb number should indicate that it came off of a truck so my best guess is that it is a 460 from a 76 ford truck.

351LX said:
Seven bolts on the valve covers make it part of the 429-460 family.The D6TE on the carb places that as a 1976 model carb so that is well after the CJ days.The T in the carb number should indicate that it came off of a truck so my best guess is that it is a 460 from a 76 ford truck.
But I took the valve cover off, would the 460 have the cleveland style rocker arms and the did the 460's come with 4 barrels from the factory and if it is a 460 is it worth 125.00 and is there potential with this engine? for street performance

went to the ford dealership, the guy told me it was a 1971 460, i asked if it was a good idea to buy it complete for 125.00 he said hell yes, i asked about performance he said with that block money is the only limit on power, he said sence it was an early 70 it would have a high compression ratio but i cant find any specs or anything on this engine

The carb tag may or may not indicate the motor is a 76 model. As well as the heads and block indicating it was a 70-72 motor ( the D1,D2 And D3 castings) All 460's came with 4 bbl intakes, except for some late 80's to mid 90's EFI 460's Some 429's came with 2 bbls. $125 may or may not be a good price, you might end up with $25 worth of scrap metal, depending on the condition of the block , crank, and heads. Check it out thoroughly before handing over any cash. It would be a good idea to pull the heads and oilpan to do a visual inspection before paying. Examine the bores , and check to make sure there's no water in the oil pan

D.Hearne said:
The carb tag may or may not indicate the motor is a 76 model. As well as the heads and block indicating it was a 70-72 motor ( the D1,D2 And D3 castings) All 460's came with 4 bbl intakes, except for some late 80's to mid 90's EFI 460's Some 429's came with 2 bbls. $125 may or may not be a good price, you might end up with $25 worth of scrap metal, depending on the condition of the block , crank, and heads. Check it out thoroughly before handing over any cash. It would be a good idea to pull the heads and oilpan to do a visual inspection before paying. Examine the bores , and check to make sure there's no water in the oil pan
would it be worth building up if it is in good shape?

Wildwill532 said:
would it be worth building up if it is in good shape?
theres obviously rust on the out side of the block, but i took the valve cover off, and it looked pretty damn clean on top, the only thing i seen that looked bad was the exhaust port had a little rust but nothing i couldnt port out along with some spider webs lol i think it should be alright for the most part, but i was wondering about quick performance from it

There was a guy at the races yesterday that had a junkyard low compression 460 running 10's in a full size 4 door 67 Galaxie. The car looked like he'd just pulled it out of someones pasture, and he added a straight front axle from a 64 F100, but that thing would **** and git!!!

I put a 429 in my 67. It is from a 72 T-Bird, and it goes RIGHT NOW. Spent $500 for the T-bird and 6K on the build-up. New valvetrain, cam, intake, pistons. Bored, decked the block, decked, ported&polished the heads. Dyno'd at 372 rwhp, 490ft-lbs.