What Is This In My Oil Pan

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by sharp2377, Jun 5, 2013.

  1. I'm changing the oil pump in my nephews 91 5.0 because of low oil pressure(I know it could be a bad bearing I'm trying this first with motor still in car). When I removed the pump and pick up I noticed chunks of black plastic wedged in the screen and all in the oil pan. At first I thought it was metal but its not magnetic and I can brake it in peices with my fingers. Anyone know wha this is?

    Attached Files:

  2. possibly from a cheap oil filter? its the only thing i can think of that could make its way in there.
  3. Based on the size relative to the box, I'd have to say bottom end. No way something top end made it through the oil drain backs in the head (PCV grommet, valve stem seals, etc.).

    Oil filter, o-ring, oil pan gasket pieces?
  4. It looks like oil pan gasket. If you look close it looks like it has a blue line on one piece and and orange on another. Like markings on the gasket.
  5. I couldn't get the pic to load last night because of issues with my phone but now that I'm on my laptop I can see that I too think it is some sort of gasket.
  6. I don't think its gasket only bbecause its a hard plastic and the peices appear to be rounded. This was just what was in the front of the pan, I pulled twice as much out of the rear of the pan. I have no clue what the hell it is. I'm hoping the pieces were clogging the screen causing low oil pressure. Ill gind out tonight when I start it lol
  7. It's gasket. It's been brittled by the oil and heat cycles. There's no other source inside of the motor that can produce that much material without shelling out and there's no other source inside of the motor at all, that can produce anything resembling plastic.
  8. Whatever it was must have been causing the screen to be clogged because the oil pressure is perfect now. Thank god.
  9. Yeah that's just the gasket. Had that happen in an old f150 farm truck. Found out after buying the new pump but It never hurts to replace one I reckon.