What is this noise? Coming from the rear(soundclip)

Hey this noise has been getting worse and worse lately. I think its coming from the rear but im not sure. Its only when the car is under load, once im coasting it goes away. If you listen closely you can hear this noise that starts at approx 48mph and stops at like 53 mph too. At the end you can hear how its only under load(I was getting on and off the gas ). Im guessing its the 3.73s, maybe they got outta place and they are whining or maybe a bearing? Can I fix it myself?

Car whine

• Sponsors (?)

It's deffinately a whine associated with gears in the rear or trans. I can tell by the way it "disappears" when your off the throttle. Pull the cover and start counting teeth. Then start checking bearings and what have you... my old trans made noises like that before it went kaboom.

BlueOvalStangGT said:
Should I try to tackle this myself or should I bring it back to the shop that put them in?

I wouldn't open it up if SOMEONE else did the work....that way they cant bang you for messing with it....
I would go back and them to take a test drive with you...let em hear it for themselves....From what you say, I'd say the noise is more the dif than tranny??? I would check that before you bang someone on there workmanship...dont wanna be eating crow... :D
Where they new gears? How long ago on the install??? Was it quiet than the noise came about with miles??? What brand of gears??

I would think if its whining, that would be more the gear set-up..any clunking along with it while cornering of letting the clutch out? A whine normally isnt a bearing...that would be a squeel to me..

Good luck with it...

gears

most probably gears, get em checked asap. if you have whine on coast or decel its no prob, but whine under load is a whole nother animal. it could be nothing, you could be knife blading your gears. go to the shop that did it.