What Is This Part That Is Mounted Under The Rearend?

Mustang936590

Jun 22, 2017
C9FD6772-DE06-4406-87C1-3037EFCB8FBA.jpeg
I’m in the process of narrowing down a rattle and I’m wonderig what exactly the purpose of this part is (circled in red). Is it supposed to be loose and is it needed? Mine is loose and the bolts are rusted pretty bad so if it’s not needed I was just gonna get rid of it.

• Sponsors (?)

It's for noise/vibration dampening. You probably will not notice a difference if you remove it. However the top bracket needs to stay on as it is the seat for the pinion snubber.

It should not be loose.
On another note, check your vent on that rearend housing, looks to be spitting fluid, pinion seal is leaking but you have noticed that I'm sure, thats a sign that maybe your rear is getting hotter than it should, maybe a good time for some axel/pinion seal replacement with a gear oil change with the traction lock additive. Oh, don't forget a gear change just for fun since your gonna be back there anyway :jester:
I like a hot rearend but not one that leaks and rattles on my car!

It's for vibration dampening.

I'm probably gonna put mine back on. I don't need it, but given my use of the car as a street cruiser I'll take every NVH precaution that I can