What is this silver part called?

Trent_97

Dec 17, 2016
I am also needing the o-ring that sits on this plug, but when I bought black ones I guess they weren't the right ones because they melt when they get hot?

• Sponsors (?)

Looks to me like the plug to get all the air out of cooling system,you know to burp the system,and if so the o ring probably needs to be compatable.try rockauto,look for Ford part number.good luck.

Yes, that is the bleed plug for the coolant system on the coolant crossover pipe. Make sure you are using the correct o-ring material and size for an ethylene glycol based system (though any rubber based o-ring should be fine really). Are you sure the o-ring isn't getting chewed up when you are installing it?

Stole this from a BMW site awhile back. This is a chemical compatibility chart for o-ring materials and ethylene glycol based coolants. Anything with a 4 beside it the most chemically compatible. The guy that posted this said he has had the best luck with Teflon coated silicone or silicone O-rings since they are the toughest.

O-Ring Materials Compatible with Ethylene Glycol
(select a material to show its compatible chemicals)
Aflas (4)Buna-N (Nitrile) (4)Butyl (4)
Chemraz (4)Epichlorohydrin (4)Ethylene-Propylene (4)
Fluorocarbon (4)Fluorosilicone (4)Hypalon (4)
Kalrez (4)Natural Rubber (4)Neoprene (4)
Nitrile, Hydrogenated (4)Polyacrylate (1)Polysulfide (2)
Polyurethane, Cast (4)Polyurethane, Millable (3)Silicone (4)
Styrene Butadiene (4)Teflon, Virgin (4)Vamac (4)

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, that is the bleed plug for the coolant system on the coolant crossover pipe. Make sure you are using the correct o-ring material and size for an ethylene glycol based system (though any rubber based o-ring should be fine really). Are you sure the o-ring isn't getting chewed up when you are installing it?

Stole this from a BMW site awhile back. This is a chemical compatibility chart for o-ring materials and ethylene glycol based coolants. Anything with a 4 beside it the most chemically compatible. The guy that posted this said he has had the best luck with Teflon coated silicone or silicone O-rings since they are the toughest.

O-Ring Materials Compatible with Ethylene Glycol
(select a material to show its compatible chemicals)
Aflas (4)Buna-N (Nitrile) (4)Butyl (4)
Chemraz (4)Epichlorohydrin (4)Ethylene-Propylene (4)
Fluorocarbon (4)Fluorosilicone (4)Hypalon (4)
Kalrez (4)Natural Rubber (4)Neoprene (4)
Nitrile, Hydrogenated (4)Polyacrylate (1)Polysulfide (2)
Polyurethane, Cast (4)Polyurethane, Millable (3)Silicone (4)
Styrene Butadiene (4)Teflon, Virgin (4)Vamac (4)
Thank you so much! I've looked online and literally couldn't find anything on this. My local part stores don't even sell any high temp o rings so I'll order online.

Thank you so much! I've looked online and literally couldn't find anything on this. My local part stores don't even sell any high temp o rings so I'll order online.

No problem. If you can't find a coated one, just put some silicon lube on the rubber o-ring you get before you install it and that should help protect it from getting chewed up while installing. Good luck!