What is this thing on my Water Pump?

• Sponsors (?)

I think I'll just forget about trying to do this right for 73 and aim for something that works. I can't substitute the diagram 2+2GT posted as it has a dual diaphragm vacuum advance and I have single. (though I suppose I could change that . . . maybe).

The only diagram I can find for 351C that doesn't have solenoid valves, check valves and spark delay valves is this one for 1970:

70%20351C%202V%20with%203-hose%20dvcv.jpg

Since I assume 1970 351C doesn't have an EGR Valve, I figure I'll plumb just the EGR to this diagram:

73%203-14D.jpg

Also, (somehow I feel the need to confirm what's already been stated) a PVS (Ported Vacuum Switch) is the exact same thing as a DVCV (Distributor Vacuum Control Valve), correct?

Ported Vacuum Switch from Advance Auto = $26.89

Distributor Vacuum Control Valve from Mustangs Unlimited = $34.95

FWIW, according to the correct 73 diagram (previously posted) the "Ambient Temperature Switch" is supposedly located in the right front door pillar. The one previously discussed in the air cleaner must be some other temperature sensing device.

I think I'll just forget about trying to do this right for 73 and aim for something that works. I can't substitute the diagram 2+2GT posted as it has a dual diaphragm vacuum advance and I have single. (though I suppose I could change that . . . maybe).
Easily. But there were both variations every year.

The only diagram I can find for 351C that doesn't have solenoid valves, check valves and spark delay valves is this one for 1970:

Since I assume 1970 351C doesn't have an EGR Valve, I figure I'll plumb just the EGR to this diagram:

Also, (somehow I feel the need to confirm what's already been stated) a PVS (Ported Vacuum Switch) is the exact same thing as a DVCV (Distributor Vacuum Control Valve), correct?
Yep. Depends who. Ford calls it the DVCV. Usually.

FWIW, according to the correct 73 diagram (previously posted) the "Ambient Temperature Switch" is supposedly located in the right front door pillar.
On the front of it, visible only then the fender is removed.

The one previously discussed in the air cleaner must be some other temperature sensing device.
Yup.

I have purchased a new EGR valve, but not installed it yet, and no emissions requirements for cars of this age. I was actually thinking of returning the EGR valve anyway as it annoys me that the hose connection is pointing up and to the left rather than the correct down and to the right position.

Well that looks remarkably similar to this (picture below), which I desperately want to get rid of as it sits awkwardly on top of the alternator (currently removed).

351C-VACCTRL.JPG

Yes, please. If you have a convenient hose routing diagram I would very much appreciate it. It's amazing how limited the shop manual is for this kind of info.

It's a long shot but, did you remove this part? If so, do you still have it? I am looking for one.