What is this ????

Dubsantana

Mar 17, 2020
California
89 mustang recently figuring out my blinker problem after changing steering column.i seen this under dash on driver side if it touches metal it sparks. I was thinking it's from an alarm? Second question about blinkers emergency flashers work changed out relay just incase nothing there is one behind fuse box plugged into back of it then a lil farther in dash I seen the other relay which also was good I am waiting for my multi function switch behind radio could that cause blinkers not to work.i was told it was for cruise control and horn?

Attachments

• 20200402_140801.jpg
    20200402_140801.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 20200402_140753.jpg
    20200402_140753.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200327_170145.jpg
    20200327_170145.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Sponsors (?)

Check all the connectors on the column.
IMO, replace them all at once.
I did an 89 tilt column swap and pretty much every connector was cooked.
When I put it back together, the blinkers didn't work.
LMR has all the pigtails (might as well do the headlight switch too), but you don't need to cut and crimp.
Just use a tiny flathead and depin each wire one at a time (so you don't mix any up).

And replace that module, there should be no open circuit boards anywhere, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Check all the connectors on the column.
IMO, replace them all at once.
I did an 89 tilt column swap and pretty much every connector was cooked.
When I put it back together, the blinkers didn't work.
LMR has all the pigtails (might as well do the headlight switch too), but you don't need to cut and crimp.
Just use a tiny flathead and depin each wire one at a time (so you don't mix any up).

And replace that module, there should be no open circuit boards anywhere, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

This^ with one exception: Verify each connection before moving on. I did this swap too and it sucks going through and troubleshooting [all] the connectors to find the [one] pin that didn't make contact.

It took me little bit longer still to identify a single ground connection that I'd missed behind the instrument cluster.