What kind of gas milege for an 03 GT 5spd on the highway?

• Sponsors (?)

If you can get it in 5th gear and leave it there and resist the urge to pass everyone in 3rd gear at WOT then you can get respectable mileage out of these things.

25 is a good starting point, you may be able to get a little higher if you can get right on the highway from your house, put the cruise control on and never have to touch it, and then get right off at your destination. If there's more surface streets and traffic then it might be a little less.

RPMs make all the difference - the one thing my ridiculously long factory 2.73:1 gears are good for is that on the interstate at 80 MPH, the motor is just loafing along at 2000 RPM and can still turn in some decent MPGs.

I was driving that distance for work and when the car was stock I got 21-22 on average with intown driving also. When I opened up the exhaust with the Hpipe and magnaflow I got closer to 24...then I went and added 4.10 gears and now she hovers around 18-20...all around 73-75mph.

Now I have a job in town and I just bought a Buick a few months ago to get around in, and I really like leaving the Mustang in the garage and out of the weather, and not racking up any unneeded miles!

I will say that I got just over 30mpg on a trip to Indianapolis, but you will likely never see that number on 40 mile trips.