What kind of performance can I expect???

CJK440

Feb 15, 2001
Connecticut
I am a V8 guy at heart but love to tinker with things & I know nothing about Turbo's (so far). I have been itching to build a Turbo 2.3 Fox mustang for quite a while.

What I'd like to do is get a clean 87-93 Fox 4 cyl 5 speed notch or hatch and swap in a rebuilt T-bird Turbo Coupe engine. At first I would like to keep dollars down and maximize what I have by improving airflow, porting the head, intake, air plumbing & exhaust and crank the boost. I'd also like to put 4.10's in the rear and maximize the power to weight ratio by removing everything I don't need. I don't really want to drop tons of money into aftermarket parts yet.

What kind of performance can I expect by improving the stock ford parts??

Anybody have similar combo's that want to share info?

• Sponsors (?)

A stock five-speed Turbocoupe makes 190 flywheel horsepower. With a simple boost controller, 3" downpipe and maybe full 3" exhaust, ported and polished manifolds, supporting fuel mods, and maybe a hybrid, you could be right up around 230 rwhp or so. Just a guess from what I've seen. Nice to see another V8 guy seeing the promise of the 2.3T! :D

Ash

-say you build the car and have it between 230-300 hp for pretty cheap which isn't requiring any whiz bang parts and pretty economical - you'll be smiling ear to ear. It's hard to describe about turbo power vs naturally aspirated. The hp and torque come on so hard and strong and so quick. I have lot's of local buddies w/ V8's, and a good friend w/ an LS1 that runs 13.1 best to date. They all love my SVO, even though it's slower than the LS1. It's probably at the 230 rwhp mark. Actually after riding in the car or driving it, they all fear I'm going to kick their butt's w/ it. So far the LS1 eludes me and probably alway's will, but those are awesome and common, these are awesome and very very uncommon.
Check out my website for a video of the SVO autox'ing and a bunch of the members website's, these cars are great fun and really supported.