What Kind Of Top End Kit

How much were they asking for the explorer chit? The horsepower fellas can build a whole car in 30 min. Hm wonder why only 56 hp from that kit? Before I watched the video I was guessing lowish numbers due to old bottom and compression but they said it was relaitvly low miles. They also had headders and exhaust work. So what didnt they have that others do who hit the magic 300 w their topend kits? Could it be the dyno itself maybe? Well guess not because they got the 220 or whatever from same dyno...

You can get an entire Explorer motor from anywhere from 250-400 at a JY. Top end probably under 250. Just call and ask around.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Personally, I really like the idea of an explorer engine, and I would definitely go this route if/when I build another 5.0. People sometimes regret putting money into something and then wanting more power later, but the explorer motor with the right peripheral parts is gonna put you in the 260 rwhp range at low compression, which is perfect to max out the block's limits with a pump gas friendly 15psi at somewhere around ~500rwhp.

In my mind, you can spend a lot of money on top-ends and strokers but you'll always be limited to the block's potential. Unless you're set against forced induction, save the money on that stuff and build or buy a good intercooled turbo kit. You're going to need to address other things first like the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, fuel system, etc... And during this time you could just enjoy the explorer motor's power.

Another beautiful thing about this idea is that you keep things cheap so you never have that much money at risk if you blow up the motor.

Reactions: 1 users
Just read the latest 5.0 rag, where one vendor did a complete H/C/I- X heads, Cobra intake, E cam. TB, MAF, injectors, MSD, etc. and made.............. 271 rwhp/318 rwtorque...........guessing about 10-15 more than my low budget explorer top end swap. I know they were going for a certain "Cobra resto" theme, but for throwing almost $3000 in parts at the car, I'd be very disappointed.

My first combo was almost this one. Cobra/GT40X/comp cam made 270rwhp/310rwtq

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
theres always on3 kits around for about a grand, but id just buy new in that case. I've seen a few HP kits in craigslist, but they seem to have some issues with some pieces as well. Whatever you end up with, you'll definitely need to do sme modifications to

Idk it just sounds like a temp thing I don't want to have to changr engines twice a year because I keep blowing them up from the turbo. I would rathher piece some top end kit together get a 331/347 block prob a stroker. Throw that in the car and then save for a turbo or superchsrger. When I get the block byilt I just get forged internals that way I'm ready to go all out.

A 500+ hp mustang especially an older model like mine doesn't seem to reliable as a daily...I know no rebuilt motor is good for reliability but I would feel better having a nice car with a nice new well built machine under the hood. I wouldn't get the same feeling with a jy build. If all I cared about was gofast chit the jy would be the way to go.

On the used turbo kits: hellion would be the best since they're still in business and you can get replacement parts, b&g is another good company. HP put great kits out there but isnt in business now, and I wouldn't run an incon kit anymore.