What modification to launch my automatic?

01mgvert

Jan 12, 2004
Using a G-tech, my best 60 ft time was 2.150 seconds. This is launching with a 2000 rpm power-brake. If I go much over 2000 rpms, the tires break loose. How can I modify my automatic to launch better?

• Sponsors (?)

Does that Jerry mod kit help? If you install a shift kit is it difficult? Do you have to take out and tear apart the entire tranny? Is the stock tranny good enough to keep using if you upgrade to a shift kit? Don't mean to hijack thread but this is something I to have been wondering about.
Thanks

rob1 said:
Does that Jerry mod kit help? If you install a shift kit is it difficult? Do you have to take out and tear apart the entire tranny? Is the stock tranny good enough to keep using if you upgrade to a shift kit? Don't mean to hijack thread but this is something I to have been wondering about.
Thanks

The Jerry mod shift kit is the best mod for the money. You use your stock valve body, enlarge the holes in the seperator plate, and modify the accumulator pistons. Its the best and most of all, its safe for your transmission since it was designed by Jerry Wroblewski, an ex-Ford engineer who actually desinged the 4r70w transmission itself. The rest of the transmission will support it. Its not too difficult to install, however, you can mess up your seperator plate. I let a pro do mine....the second time. First time, I drilled the holes wrong cause I used a hand drill. I let this guy do it and he used a drill press. He also got it right cause he's done valve body work for years. He's actually a good friend of Jerry's. Anyhow, the Jerry mod is the best **** kit out IMHO. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

i dunno, i launched from idle and killed a pretty heavily modded LS1 WS6. :shrug:
yeah thats the other thing... burn the tires up before you launch to get them sticky, run small rims, fat sidewall and bias ply DOT approved tires with little pressure in em, you'll hook like a mofo. Good luck driving on the highway though. :shrug:

If you're launching a 99+ with a 4r70w from 2000 rpms you should definately be spinning, which would slow down your 60 foot. Launch from idle. Also, your traction control is turned off right? :)

jas142 said:
If you're launching a 99+ with a 4r70w from 2000 rpms you should definately be spinning, which would slow down your 60 foot. Launch from idle. Also, your traction control is turned off right? :)

Even though I have 4.10 gears, I think that the weight of my convertible and my new Sumitamos help me to hook up. If I accelerate from idle, I rarely spin. The car just jumps out of the hole. Regarding traction control, I disabled it using my Diablo Predator.

Dark Knight GT said:
Read my signature, both the mods already done and the "to come" mods.

I see that you have the Precision Industries Stallion torque converter. From my research, this is one of the best. They claim to drop your 60 ft time by .2 seconds and your 1/4 mile time by .5 seconds. Did you find this to be true? Also, is it worth the cost ($695 plus installation)?