What Mustang Should I Purchase?

GreyDiesel

Jul 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Hey all, I am the dude that submitted the spouse thread a while back. My gorgeous, amazing, talented and smoking hot wife told me earlier this week "If this is something that is important to you, of course I will support you in your Mustang purchase". Since that moment, I have been glued to autotrader for the past three days looking for my new ride. I thought I would throw out a post to the group, since I seem to be all over the place in my options. I would like to know what vehical you all think I should purchase. Here are my options:

07 GT, 11000 miles Roush Cold Air Intake, 17" Brushed Torq Rims, Alloy Paint $22500
This was the first Mustang I saw and I really liked it. Very clean, like new. I am just not sure I want to go with Alloy. It may be too menacing. Also, it has the base stereo. I really did not get a chance to test it out, but I was hoping for the Shaker 500.

07 GT, 7000 miles, 18" Pollished Torq Wheels, Torch Red, $22500
I am not sure I want to go with Red either. Too flashy?

07 V6, 17000 miles, 17" Brushed Torq Wheels, Pony Package, Leather, Hurst Shifter, the works, $13000. A V6?!?! :eek: I know, but... I really sort of fell in love with this car. (aside from the engine) It is Vista Blue, my current favorite color. I love the shifter. (Granted, I can get a Hurst for any of the cars). And it is SOOOOO cheap. I would be saving $100/month in payments. I realize I would probably grow to really regret the v6. But I am coming from a 4 banger VW golf, so even the V6 mustang is a n upgrade in power. I have a spreadsheet of all the cars I have seen, and this is by far THE most power for the money. Value. I used to wonder why I saw so many V6 mustangs on the road. I can see now it is because Ford just prices them so cheap, its hard to pass up.

Finally, there is a 08 Highland Green Bullitt, 7000 miles, $27000. This is more than I was originally planning to spend, but it is a good deal for a Bullitt. I know the Bullitt is an amazing car, I drove it and I was blown away. Should I break the bank for this car? I would be using it as a daily driver, and I wonder if a Bullitt is too nice/too much of a car for everyday use.

Right now, if I could find a Vista Blue GT for 21000 I would probably go with that. There are none in my area available. Should I wait? Also, last week I was dead set on an Alloy GT, and the week before that, dead set on a Tungsten GT. So, my tastes tend to change a lot.

Thoughts????

• Sponsors (?)

Well if you think you'll regret the V6 now then you'll probably REALLY regret it after you've bought it. I'd say for sure go with a GT and if you prefer one color over another then you should wait until you can find that color for a good deal. So my vote is wait to find a Vista Blue.

Your right. Waiting is not what I wanted to hear, but probably the most intelligent solution. I think I may have made the post, hoping someone would steer me toward the Alloy or the Torch Red. What I really would like (this week) is a Vista Blue with white stripes. I doubt I will come accross that on the used market.

You know, I liked the pony package fog lights on the V6. I am not a huge fan of the GT driving lights. I think I would end up getting a different front grill. Something clean like the Bullitt, or maybe those with the driving lights placed closer together.

I would go with a used GT personally. The V6 will only save you money on the purchase price in the end. If you dreaming of having a hot revvy mustang, then go with a GT hands down. Sure for $13,000 you can have a mustang V6, but there are better cars in that low low price range that would be even more economical for you.

When it comes to me, I drive what I want within my budget. If I'm going to pay $450 a month for a car it better be what I want so I went with the GT. I could have bought a V6 for ~$300 a month, but then I wouldn't even be close to happy with performance and you would see me spending $150 a month in mods, just to get to where I wanted to be in the first place.

If I were you I would consider an 05-06 for about $5,000 less if you are looking to save money. Make sure that you get a warranty whether its factory or extended coverage.

Listen to yourself.......you said GT about 5 different cars, and V6 on one. You don't WANT the V6 and you are even telling yourself that without listening to yourself. What you really like is Vista Blue with a Hurst Shifter. So that settles it. You want a Vista Blue GT with a Hurst Shifter. THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT.

When the s197 stangs came out in 05 I wanted to get one right away, finally 2 years later I found the one I wanted with all the options at the price I wanted in the color I wanted. I could have rushed out and bought the first one I saw but I waited and I'm glad. Just make sure you know what you want in the car and how much you're willing to spend. that way you'll be happy with the purchase. good luck and congrats on getting a stang

I used autotrader to search and it took me about 2 weeks to narrow it down. I wanted an Alloy GT with shaker and 18 inch wheels. I paid $700 to ship it from the dealership I found it at. So worth getting the car I wanted. FIrst figure out exactly what you want in teh mustang, then go looking for that car. You will find it.

Or do like me, go for the last of the last model year clearance offers, wait for it to go sour, raise hell and get a loaded Vista Blue brand new for real cheap just to keep your mouth shut.

That of course was a once in a lifetime deal which suits me fine since this car will be with me till I'm way past old and wrinkly.

I went to look at new Ford Mustangs and the dealer didn't shoot straight with me. Kept telling me the car was $600/month. I'm sorry, but I sold cars for a living and told them that and told them what the price would be and they still didn't take it. So I left that place full of idiots.

I went on Cars.com and looked and looked for a whole day. Back and forth between a few options. Silver GT w/ Red leather, Black w/ black leather, or this mineral grey that "just looked alright". I ended up narrowing it down to the Mineral Grey because it had all the options I wanted.

I took my GTO down to the dealer with my buyers order for their car and told them to sell it to me and gave them the check from the bank right then and there. Took me about 2 hours all together at the dealership.

Oh, and $600 is full of $#!t. That's a $34,000+ car. I guess that dealer thought I was smoking crack or something and was going to take their rediculous offer. The guy called me about 2 days after I bought my GT, and I had the pleasure of telling him that his desk manager was an idiot and that I bought my car the next business day across town because his store wanted to screw around instead of selling a car.

If you got the money go for the Bullitt, and it will still have a decent warrenty left too. :)

I wondered how long before someone voted for the Bullitt. That will probably have the most resale value as well... being a collectors edition (of sorts). :nice:

I went to another dealer yesterday, and, while looking at a 08 GT, I mentioned told the used Bullitt. The salesman told me to go and get the Bullitt. I figured, if this guy is telling me to buy a car from another dealer, it must be a good deal. I went down and made an offer of 25 on the Bullitt, which was not accepted. I could go back in and get it for 26.5, the lowest they went before I walked out. But.... I dunno, I am sort of leaning in other directions. Plus, I really did not like their floor staff, and sort of recoil at the idea of buying from that particular dealer. With insurance, sales tax, dealer handling, and gas mileage figured into the deal... This is really stretching my budget, and may make the car as much as a burden as it is fun. There in lies the motivation to get a Vista Blue GT for 20 grand. It may not be a Bullitt, but the payments should be much less of a stretch, and... for all I know, the GT will be just as much fun. I am not a muscle car connoisseur (yet) and may not push the car hard enough to notice differences that make the Bullitt worth the extra cash.
:shrug:

ALLOY!!! GET THE ALLOY!!!!!

Although, if you are telling me it has the base stereo and not the Shaker 500, that means its not a premium trim. You'll want a premium.

Honestly, I don't think $27000 is a good price for a used Bullitt. You can get an almost fully loaded 2008 GT brand new for around that now. You could buy a new Bullit for close to that.

ALLOY!!! GET THE ALLOY!!!!!

Although, if you are telling me it has the base stereo and not the Shaker 500, that means its not a premium trim. You'll want a premium.

What exactly comes with the premium trim? I can tell you this car had leather seats and the aluminum accent on the dash and shifter. The base stereo. Leather wrapped steering wheel. It seemed to have all the goodies, just not the stereo. (I dont think) It looked exactly like a Shaker 500, but did not have the Shaker 500 logo above the CD player. Plus the seller told me it was the base system.

Also, the Torch Red one has Traction Control. Is that important come winter?

I'd keep looking untill the perfect one comes along. Deffinetely don't settle, and don't buy a V6, you'll regret it.

And like said before, get a premium. It has a nicer steering wheel, dash trim, seats, better stereo, etc. It is 100x nicer on the inside, you will not regret it. The delux GTs seem real cheap compared to a premium.

I vote for alloy as the color, because mine is alloy and it is such a totally awesome color. It is harder to keep looking nice though, but when it's clean it is gorgeous. I got my 08 Alloy GT, premium, with almost every option (Didn't have the package with the heated seats/compass mirror, and didn't have that ambient lighting stuff, and had the base wheels, but everything else, including 3.55 rearend) brand new for I think 26,500. If you can afford a new one, then you have the ability to get EXACTLY what you want. And with the 09s comming I'm sure you can get good deals on 08s.

Honestly skip the GT appearance package unless you want to pay extra for a fake non functional scoop that adds drag and polished tailpipes that you'll lose the minute you get an exhaust. Money saved.

Do get something with an interior upgrade package though, you get more (useful) gauges that way.

The Bullitt would be ideal, but I wouldn't go near or beyond your budget to get it. Another thing is the daily driving. Racking up the miles can lead to body damage...paint chips, dings, etc. I wouldn't want to have to subject the Bullitt to that.
If you want the Vista Blue, then by all means wait for one as it's easier to add an aftermarket stereo and other goodies than to not like the color and repaint it. It is only a matter of minutes to swap out the grills on the GT once you're able to finesse the clips. I got the Bullitt grill (less than $200 from partscheap.com) as it eliminates the fogs and gives it a much cleaner look IMO.I know going into my purchase, I wanted the Vista. I was able to get a leftover '06 on the 0%/72 plan, but had to settle for the auto rather than the manual.
Definitely get the Premium!

The GT appearance package is nice, but the Premium GT is awesome. There is a dealar here in NC that is offering $8,000 off on GT's!!!!!! so take that into consideration. I paid 23,000 for an 08 GT premium with 8500 miles on it. My Color, leather, heated seats, appearance packeage, etc.... oh, and Dark Candy Apple Red Clearcoat Metallic...