What oil does everyone use and what oil to use for engine break-ins??

• Sponsors (?)

With new cars i have always used conventional with cchanges at 500, 1500, and then 3000, 6000, etc.

On an engine I built I would do probably a near immediate change (after cam break in) then 150 miles, 500, 1000, 1500, 2200, 3000 jsut to be sure to get the junk out of there...

Grn92LX said:
I used 10w40. Here, read Barry R's response. This is how you break in a roller engine properly http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12510&highlight=engine+break After you do this, come home and change the oil and flilter. I would suggest cutting open the filter and checking for shavings. Use tin snips for this.

That's some pretty good info. As soon as the motor reaches operating temperature, get into second gear, and pull up to around 5,000rpm, or so. Don't be scared of it. Actually take it a little higher if you want. Then let the motor bring itself back down (don't push in the clutch, or apply the brakes). Do this six or seven times, then go change the oil.
Brandon

ROLLIN5.0 said:
That's some pretty good info. As soon as the motor reaches operating temperature, get into second gear, and pull up to around 5,000rpm, or so. Don't be scared of it. Actually take it a little higher if you want. Then let the motor bring itself back down (don't push in the clutch, or apply the brakes). Do this six or seven times, then go change the oil.
Brandon

:nice: :nice:

Yup exactly! I would recommend varying the speed and rpm while doing this too and also try doing it in 3rd gear too.

Start the engine let it up to temps then shut it off and let it completley cool down. Do this 5 times then take it out for a drive and do the variable rpms. Change the oil the go. I'm just using cheap 10w-30 for the break in.

I recently rebuilt my engine. I used Castrol 30w to break in the motor. Started it up got the timing set and went for a drive varying the rpm and letting the car come down on its own to help seat the rings. After the first drive I changed the oil. Remember, the oil will be discolored because of the assembly lubricants etc.(i.e. ARP thread lubricant etc.). When I changed the oil I forgot this and it scared the SH.........t out of me. I thought I had an internal coolant leak but it was just the assembly lube I used. The headers will smoke etc. Just listen for any weird metal to metal noise and knocking. Just One Man's Opnion. Peace.