What oil drain plug gasket do you use?

• Sponsors (?)

Whatever I can find at the parts store. My oil pan is so FUBAR that I'm already running an over sized plug. They make rubber coated metal ones, which might work, but I think I've been using some sort of a plastic one. Teflon maybe. You could always run a little bit of sealer on the threads.

Unless your car has all brand spanking new stuff, any car 15 years or older is going to be wet underneath. If its not dropping a terrible amount of oil, stick a piece of cardboard under there and call it a day.

For the past year I've been using magnetic drain plugs with what I think is an aluminum gasket, they dont leak at all. I used to use the blue plastic (teflon?) gaskets from Autozone with the stock plugs; I dont think they leaked on me, but I changed them every oil change.

lol yep, same one as rolled off the assembly line, if ur careful theyll last 30 years hahaha:eek:

Unless your mechanic dad with forearms like Christmas hams had a whack or two at changing the oil at some point... While on heavy doses of pain killers for carpal tunnel.

Hes like a human impact wrench, and when he was on that medication he had no reference of force that he was applying on things. I saw him put a hole straight through a valve cover once after his wrench slipped off a bolt.

Needless to say, my original plug and washer are looooong gone.

Mine both drip, hate it...Im gonna try teflon tape next oil change and see what happens. Till then Ive had decent success by cleanin around it and just puttin RTV around the plug.
Matt