What oil pump to use?

• Sponsors (?)

+1...if you wanna go one step further, you can chamfer the gerotor edges and passages.

Using a HV oil pump is really only sapping more power in many instances and the factory pump works quite well for most mild apps...

Don't use a high volume if you are using a stock oil pan. I currently run one and after about two months of driving I developed a small leak in the front corner of my pan. Turns out the extra height of the high volume causes it to rub the inside corner of the pan. Its still in there, I patched the hole with some Quick Silver putty and it has held fine for 6+ months now, but I would do it differently knowing that now. +1 on the melling, and you can buy them at autozone or advance auto.

The cast iron Melling pump requires you to "Dimple" the pan with the ball end of a ball peen hammer. Use a propane torch to heat the pan when doing the hammering and another pass to stress relieve where you hammered the pan.

The cast iron Melling pump requires you to "Dimple" the pan with the ball end of a ball peen hammer. Use a propane torch to heat the pan when doing the hammering and another pass to stress relieve where you hammered the pan.

This is in reference to the High Volume pumps when using a stock oil pan, they have a "HV" suffix. Personally unless you run wider clearances or can take advantage of the volume and pressure they are not needed.