what other 4.6 2v engines can i direct bolt in a 00 gt?

• Sponsors (?)

If your requirement is "direct bolt in", then the list is somewhat small. The reason is your model year Mustang came with a Windsor 4.6.

If on the other hand you are prepared to do some minor reconfiguration, THEN you could use the motor from a 2001+ Town Car, Grand Marquis, or Crown Vic. Search on Windsor to Romeo swap. Plenty of people have done it (including myself).

Even better. Choose from a 2003+ model year and take advantage of the redesigned PI heads with the increased number of spark plug threads.

For sample prices of salvage motors in your area try searching car-part.com

Reactions: 1 user
If your requirement is "direct bolt in", then the list is somewhat small. The reason is your model year Mustang came with a Windsor 4.6.

If on the other hand you are prepared to do some minor reconfiguration, THEN you could use the motor from a 2001+ Town Car, Grand Marquis, or Crown Vic. Search on Windsor to Romeo swap. Plenty of people have done it (including myself).

Even better. Choose from a 2003+ model year and take advantage of the redesigned PI heads with the increased number of spark plug threads.

For sample prices of salvage motors in your area try searching car-part.com

Thank you, what would I need to change to put the 03-04 engine in. I’ll probably go that route since they are better performing engines.

I’ll probably go that route since they are better performing engines.
Note. There is NO performance difference between the motor in the 1999-2000 GT model year and the 2001-2004 model year. Further since the long blocks are the SAME for the 2001+ Model year Panther class (Town Car, Grand Marquis, or Crown Vic) there isn't a performance difference. So don't do the swap expecting to get improved performance.

The swap is a chance to get a replacement motor that is:
  • commonly available in the salvage yards.
  • inexpensive
  • Might have led an easier life than in a Mustang. Note avoid any motor from a police car.
  • relatively easy to swap bolted on parts to make it work for a difference "application".
Again, This topic has been covered a number of times in the forums. Basically put both motors on an engine stand and make the donor look like the original.

Note2. Just on the off chance that someone points out "why are the HP ratings different between a Mustang and a Panther". The answer lies in the different things bolted onto the long block. And most importantly the PCM tune.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user