What should I expect from this brake setup

97cobra281

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2001
Puyallup, Wa
I'm upgrading from stock(97 Cobra) brakes, and putting on new Hawk HP plus pads and Russel SS brake lines. Keeping the stock rotors for now, and also upgrading to new high performance brake fluid due to rumors that the stock stuff doesnt do heat well..just want to know what to expect. is the pad upgrade worth it w/o a rotor upgrade at the same time? I'll be on the road corse in a week, I'll let you all know if the stock rotors warp and if i get a fade like i did with the stock(raybestos replacement) pads, and lines.. Jay

• Sponsors (?)

You'll notice a good improvement over the raybestos crap. If your going onto a road course, then dont swap to upgraded rotors since I'm almost 100% sure your stock ones will warp depending on how you drive. If you :taco: foot the course then they shouldnt warp, but if you drive the snake like its ment to be driven, say bye to those rotors. LOL

I was figuring on the stock rotors warping..i'm not sure how they didnt warp when i was on the track a couple months ago..I was thinking of upgrading to powerslot or SSBC, just a slotted rotor and no drilled stuff, over the winter.What are the recommendations for front rotors..(I am leaving the rears stock)

Well, it was a good day..tons of fun. BUT. the brakes were much better than the old stuff, but no were near as good as some of the other people i rode with. I'm thinking that i definately need a slotted rotor to exhaust the gases from the pads(plenty of that, cause i saw the smoke in the mirror). I also think that as much as i think that the rear brakes dont matter, the crappy raybestos pads and stock rotors are hindering the performance. My car is very low and doesnt get hardly any nose dive(weight transfer). I'm starting to wonder if the stock calipers can put enough pressure on the rotors???? It's like theres not even close to amount of grip(pad to rotor) other cars i've riden in have..granit those cars were a Z06 and a 97 Cobra with powerslot rotors and upgraded pads...Are my expectations to high for the stock rotors? and are the rears more important than i 'm making them? the rotors didnt warp. and maybe they just need more time to seat in(pads and rotors)...next is powerslots up front and something new in the rear..i'm assuming the cobra calipers are good....

Jay