What should I look for? What year to get?

mBot

Jul 5, 2010
Hey guys;

I'm finally ready to buy:)

Looking for an S197, GT, convertible, with Manual Transmission and leather.

I want something as fresh and close to "new" as I can find. I've got $18-19k to spend on the car (before tax, etc). I am located in Michigan, and there are a few I've found online that could be had within a day's drive.

I really like the "shaker" hood that came standard (?) on the '07 and newer cars, otherwise I don't see a whole lot of difference until I hit the '10 and '11s, which I can't afford.

Is there anything I should really try to get or avoid? I'd like 3.55s instead of 3.22s, but I can always fix that afterwards with 3.73s:) I'm trying to stay '06 or newer, with mileage in the teens (preferably, definitely under 30k). I don't want something that was beat to hell.....

A couple of the ones nearby are:
09 with 15k for $21.5k (just out of my range)
07 with 15k for $19.5k (can do it)
07 with 15k for $22.5k (out of my range)
06 with 15k for $17.5k (not a huge fan of the color, and it was in a very minor parking lot accident)

...any thoughts? Any differences to note between the years? I am a fan of black and red, other colors considered........any thoughts on interior? Black is hot, any thoughts on other interior colors??

Thanks!!!

Ben

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Ben, welcome to the world of Mustangs!

First, no Mustangs currently have a "shaker" hood from the factory. The last one was the Mach 1 a few years back. The 2010 - 2012 do have a different hood, but it's not a shaker.

For the cars you listed, without knowing anything about what packages they have, options, etc, I would go for the '09 or the $19.5 '07.

There's no real functional difference I'm aware of between the '05-09 model years, at least in terms of power or appearance. Obviously Ford may have added or subtracted colors, options, etc. The decision is really up to you on what you can and can't live with.

Also, I drove around Central and South Florida for 10 years in a Mustang with black leather, and it's not hot for very long, if at all. Besides, that's what an air conditioner is for. :nice:

All the cars have similar equipment....GT, convert, stick, leather, Shaker 500 or 1000, rear spoiler, etc. 2 have bullet wheels, the other 2 have nice big 5 spoke OEM wheels. I was referring to the hood scoop when I said "shaker" hood:).

All the cars have similar equipment....GT, convert, stick, leather, Shaker 500 or 1000, rear spoiler, etc. 2 have bullet wheels, the other 2 have nice big 5 spoke OEM wheels. I was referring to the hood scoop when I said "shaker" hood:).

Ah, I see. Well a fake hood scoop and a shaker are very different things, my friend. ;) I believe those hood scoops were dealer options that could be added on. Personally, I'm not big on having fake scoops, but if you like it, go for it.

You want the 3.55s. Unless you KNOW you'll be changing gears later. Then it doesn't matter.

I, for one, was glad to find one withOUT the stuck-on hood & side scoops. Had them on my '01 GT 'vert... paint never matched, & they always trapped water when gettin a bath. I guess I like the cleaner look too. Go for the newest you can afford... especially the '07 & up with the MP3 jack in the console...

12774682575_266866556_IM1_03_565x421_A_565x377.jpg

I ended up buying an 09 GT Premium with 18.5k for $20,999........

Ford CPO, Dark Candy Apple Red w/ red leather, black cloth top, 18" chrome bullet wheels, GT appearance pkg, Shaker 500, 3.55 axle.......its a georgeous car, incredibly fast, looks and drives like new:)

Sorry for the dark photo.....
mustang.jpg