What should I use to clean my new cam before I install it?

StreetDreamsGT

Mar 6, 2003
New Jersey
I just got in my new crane cam, it says to clean it with mineral spirits before I put on assy lube n install it, what's mineral spirits and where can I find me some? Also, I know I asked this before but should I put in new lifters when I install this cam? Because crane strongly advises it.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd use spray carburetor cleaner from Carquest or other parts store The spray can stuff is much easier than using stuff from a can.

I spray it and blow it dry with air. This has always worked on pistons, cranks, bearings, etc, etc. Gasket sealers seem to work after this treatment also.

I also use it to clean prior to spray can painting.

It is also an excellent one shot roach killer.

rd said:
I'd use spray carburetor cleaner from Carquest or other parts store The spray can stuff is much easier than using stuff from a can.

I spray it and blow it dry with air. This has always worked on pistons, cranks, bearings, etc, etc. Gasket sealers seem to work after this treatment also.

I also use it to clean prior to spray can painting.

It is also an excellent one shot roach killer.

Have you done the carb cleaner with a cam though? It wouldn't eat away at the assembly lube?

Brake Cleaner is the only thing I trust for cleaning anything in the motor. It will dissolve any grease/oil.
Another advantage is that the brake cleaner solvents will not leave ANY residue behind. Some other solvents can leave residue.

I would clean everything off the cam, then apply assy lube myself. I think the lube that cams are shipped with is more of a corrossion prevention step. I could be wrong on that though, just a guess.

jason